Numerical simulation of hydrodynamic and water quality effects of shoreline changes in Bohai Bay
- 2 Downloads
This study uses the HD and Ecolab modules of MIKE to simulate the hydrodynamic and water quality and predict the influence of shoreline changes in Bohai Bay, China. The study shows that shoreline changes weaken the residual current and generate a counter-clockwise circulation south of Huanghua Port, thereby resulting in weak water exchange capacity and low pollutant-diffusing capacity. Shoreline changes reduce the area of Bohai Bay, resulting in a smaller tidal prism and further weakening the water exchange capacity. This situation is not conducive to the diffusion of pollutants, and therefore may lead to increased water pollution in the bay. Shoreline changes hinder the spread of runoff, weaken the dilution effect of the river on seawater, and block the spread of coastal residual current, thereby resulting in increased salinity near the reclamation area. Shoreline changes lead to an increase in PO4-P concentration and decrease in DIN concentration. The value of N/P near the project decreases, thereby weakening the phosphorus-limited effect.
KeywordsBohai Bay shoreline changes hydrodynamic water quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51779039).
- Huai W X, Zeng X H, Komatsu T (2005). Numerical simulation of residual circulation due to bottom roughness variability under tidal flows in a semi-enclosed bay. China Ocean Eng, 19(4): 601–612Google Scholar
- Li G J, Ma Y L, Li W, Wang J, Wei H (2012). Distribution of inorganic nutrients and potential eutrophication assessment in Bohai Bay in spring. Journal of Tianjin University of Science and Technology, 27 (5): 22–27Google Scholar
- Liu X Y, Gao Z Q, Ning J C, Lu Q (2014a). Dynamic analysis on coastline and sea reclamation in the region around Bohai based on remote sensing images. In SPIE Optical Engineering Applications. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 9221: 92210U1-6Google Scholar
- Liu Y, Kan W J, Zhang Q F (2014b). Study of nutrients changes and characteristics of eutrophication in Tianjin red tide monitoring area for the past four years. Ocean Development and Management, 4: 83–85Google Scholar
- Redfield A C (1958). The biological control of chemical factors in the environment. Am Sci, 46(3): 205–221Google Scholar
- Wang X M, Li H Y, Meng W Q (2011b). Ecological impacts of marine reclamation in Binhai New Area of Tianjin. In Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, 2011 5th International Conference on. IEEE, 1–4Google Scholar
- Ye X M, Wang Q M, Ding J, Shi L J (2011). Satellite remote sensing investigation and analysis on the actuality of the tidal prism of bays in the Bohai Sea. Hydrographic Surveying and Charting, 31(6): 48–51Google Scholar
- Zhao X, Sun Q (2013). Influence of reclamation on hydrodynamic environment in Bohai Bay. Adv Mat Res, 726: 3262–3265Google Scholar