Development of Al- and Cu-based nanocomposites reinforced by graphene nanoplatelets: Fabrication and characterization
Aluminum and copper matrix nanocomposites reinforced by graphene nanoplatelets (GNPs) were successfully fabricated by a wet mixing method followed by conventional powder metallurgy. The uniform dispersion of GNPs within the metal matrices showed that the wet mixing method has a great potential to be used as a mixing technique. However, by increasing the GNPs content, GNPs agglomeration was more visible. DSC and XRD of Al/GNPs nanocomposites showed that no new phase formed below the melting point of Al. Microstructural observations in both nanocomposites reveal the evident grain refinement effect as a consequence of GNPs addition. The interfacial bonding evaluation shows a poor interfacial bonding between GNPs and Al, while the interfacial bonding between Cu and GNPs is strong enough to improve the properties of the Cu/GNPs nanocomposites. In both composites, the coefficient of thermal expansion decreases as a function of GNPs while, their hardness is improved by increasing the GNPs content as well as their elastic modulus.
Keywordsnanocomposite aluminum copper graphene microstructure thermal expansion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Molitor F, Güttinger J, Stampfer C, et al. Electronic properties of graphene nanostructures. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 2011, 23(24): 243201Google Scholar
- Ovid’ko I A. Review on grain boundaries in graphene. Curved poly- and nanocrystalline graphene structures as new carbon allotropes. Reviews on Advanced Materials Science, 2012, 30(3): 201–224Google Scholar
- Saboori A, Pavese M, Badini C, et al. Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters), 2017 (in press)Google Scholar
- Koltsova T, Nasibulina L I, Anoshkin I V, et al. New hybrid copper composite materials based on carbon nanostructures. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering B, 2012, 2(4): 240–246Google Scholar
- Kim Y, Lee J, Yeom M S, et al. Strengthening effect of singleatomic- layer graphene in metal–graphene nanolayered composites. Nature Communications, 2013, 4: 2114Google Scholar
- Kwon H, Kawasaki A. In: Attaf B, ed. Advances in Composite Materials for Medicine and Nanotechnology. InTech,2011, 429–444Google Scholar
- Kovácik J, Emmer Š. Thermal expansion of Cu/graphite composites: effect of copper coating. Kovove Materialy, 2011, 49(6): 411–416Google Scholar