Design and synthesis of an AIE-active fluorogen with red emission and its biological application
- 274 Downloads
A novel triphenylamine-base derivative L containing pyridine and terpyridine was designed and synthesized. Compound L exhibited distinct aggregation-induced emission (AIE) behavior in water–ethanol and also displayed a threefold increase in the intensity of luminescence at 608 nm. Furthermore, confocal microscopy imaging demonstrated that compound L displays low toxicity and brights red fluorescence in mitochondria in living HepG2 cells. Inherent from the mitochondrial-targeting ability of pyridine moiety and the AIE characteristic of triphenylamine group, compound L could be employed as a fluorescent probe in the near-infrared region for living cell imaging.
KeywordsAggregation-induced enhanced emission Triphenylamine Mitochondria Pyridine
This study was supported by the Science Foundation of Department Education of Anhui Province (KJ2017ZD49), and the Talent Foundation of the Education Department of Anhui (gxbjZD2016111), Doctoral Startup Foundation of Wannan Medical College (wYRCQD201715).
- Chang ZF, Jing LM, Chen B, Zhang MS, Cai XL, Liu JJ, Ye YC, Lou XD, Zhao ZJ, Liu B, Wang JL, Tang BZ (2016) Rational design of asymmetric red fluorescent probes for live cell imaging with high AIE effects and large two-photon absorption cross sections using tunable terminal groups. Chem Sci 7:4527–4536. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5SC04920B CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Dennington R, Keith T, Millam J (2009) GaussView, version 5. Semichem Inc, Shawnee MissionGoogle Scholar
- Frisch M, Trucks G, Schlegel H, Scuseria G, Robb M, Cheeseman Scalmani, Barone Mennucci B, Petersson G (2009) Gaussian 09, revision A. Gaussian Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Huang YY, Zhang GX, Hu F, Jin YL, Zhao R, Zhang DQ (2016) Emissive nanoparticles from pyridinium-substituted tertraphenylethylene salts: imaging and selective cytotoxicity towards cancer cells in vitro and in vivo by varying counter anions. Chem Sci 7:7013–7019. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6SC02395A CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lu HG, Zheng YD, Zhao XW, Wang LJ, Ma SQ, Han XQ, Xu B, Tian WJ, Gao H (2016) Highly efficient far red/near-infrared solid fluorophores: aggregation-induced emission, intramolecular charge transfer, twisted molecular conformation, and bioimaging applications. Angew Chem 128:163–167. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201507031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tian XH, Hussain S, Wang H, Zhang Q, Zhao M, Chen JY, Zhang H, Zhou HP, Chen Y, Tian YP (2017) A series of water-soluble pyridinium derivatives with two-photon absorption in the near infrared region for mitochondria targeting under stimulated emission depletion (STED) nanoscopy. Dyes Pigm 147:90–98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2017.07.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang H, Tian XH, Du W, Zhang Q, Guan LJ, Wang AD, Zhang YJ, Wang CK, Zhou HP, Wu JY, Tian YP (2016) A two-photon fluorescent RNA probe screened from a series of oxime-functionalized 2,2′:6′,2′′-terpyridine ZnX2 (X = Cl, Br, I) complexes. J Mater Chem B 4:4818–4825. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6TB01202G CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng Z, Yu ZP, Yang MD, Jin F, Zhang Q, Zhou HP, Wu JY, Tian YP (2013) Substituent group variations directing the molecular packing, electronic structure, and aggregation-induced emission property of isophorone derivatives. J Org Chem 78:3222–3234. https://doi.org/10.1021/jo400116j CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar