Autologous bone marrow stem cell transplantation for the treatment of ulcerative colitis complicated with herpes zoster: a case report
- 46 Downloads
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease with continuous or recurrent symptoms. A 42-year-old male patient with intermittent diarrhea accompanied by bloody mucopurulent stools was admitted to our hospital. The diagnosis of UC was confirmed by a combination of laboratory examination, colonoscopy, and histological assay. The patient developed herpes zoster in the hospital, which challenged traditional treatments. Therefore, we performed an autologous bone marrow cells to modulate the immune system with his permission. Autologous bone marrow mononuclear cells were collected and injected locally into the bowel mucosa, and subsequently injected systemically through a peripheral vein. After the patient underwent auto bone marrow mononuclear cells transplantations twice, the patient’s symptoms were alleviated. Furthermore, he recovered from hematochezia, and his hypersensitive C reactive protein decreased. Colonoscopy results showed reduced lesions and decreased areas with bleeding and edema in the sigmoid colon and rectum. No recurrence occurred in the subsequent two years, but long-time monitoring is still necessary for the prophylaxis of colorectal cancer.
Keywordsautograft bone marrow stem cells ulcerative colitis cell therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Deng X, Szabo S, Chen L, Paunovic B, Khomenko T, Tolstanova G, Tarnawski AS, Jones MK, Sandor Z. New cell therapy using bone marrow-derived stem cells/endothelial progenitor cells to accelerate neovascularization in healing of experimental ulcerative colitis. Curr Pharm Des 2011; 17(16): 1643–1651CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Snarski E, Torosian T, Paluszewska M, Urbanowska E, Milczarczyk A, Jedynasty K, Franek E, Jedrzejczak WW. Alleviation of exogenous insulin requirement in type 1 diabetes mellitus after immunoablation and transplantation of autologous hematopoietic stem cells. Pol Arch Med Wewn 2009; 119(6): 422–426PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Snarski E, Milczarczyk A, Torosian T, Paluszewska M, Urbanowska E, Król M, Boguradzki P, Jedynasty K, Franek E, Wiktor-Jedrzejczak W. Independence of exogenous insulin following immunoablation and stem cell reconstitution in newly diagnosed diabetes type I. Bone Marrow Transplant 2011; 46(4): 562–566CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Zhang J, Ren X, Shi W, Wang S, Chen H, Zhang B, Wang Z, Zhou Y, Chen L, Zhang R, Lv Y, Zhou J, Nan X, He L, Yue W, Li Y, Pei X. Small molecule Me6TREN mobilizes hematopoietic stem/ progenitor cells by activating MMP-9 expression and disrupting SDF-1/CXCR4 axis. Blood 2014; 123(3): 428–441CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kniazev OV, Ruchkina IN, Parfenov AI, Konopliannikov AG, Sagynbaeva VE. Complete elimination of cytomegalovirus without antiviral therapy after systemic transplantation of mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells in a patient with ulcerative colitis. Eksp Klin Gastroenterol 2012;(3):118–123 (in Russian)Google Scholar