Experimental Investigation of Phase Equilibria in Ti–Zr–Ge System
- 17 Downloads
Phase equilibria in the Ti–Zr–Ge ternary system at 1073 and 1173 K were investigated experimentally using equilibrated alloys with electron probe microanalysis and x-ray diffraction analysis. No ternary compounds were detected. Eleven and nine three-phase regions were determined in the Ti–Zr–Ge isothermal section at 1073 and 1173 K, respectively. Intermediate compounds ZrGe2, Zr5Ge4, Zr5Ge3, Ti5Ge4, and Ti5Ge3, possessing large solubility, extended along the Ge isoconcentration line, indicating remarkable substitution of Ti for Zr in the Zr–Ge compounds or of Zr for Ti in the Ti–Ge compounds. The solubility of Ti in ZrGe2 increased from 16.0 at.% at 1073 K to 19.3 at.% at 1173 K, while that of Zr in Ti5Ge3 remained nearly 41.0 at.% at both 1073 and 1173 K.
Keywordsisothermal section microstructure phase diagram ternary system Ti–Zr–Ge alloy
This work was financially supported by the Major State Basic Research Development Program of China (Grant No. 2014CB6644002) and the Project of Innovation-Driven Plan in Central South University (no. 2015CX004).
- 1.A. Shapiro and A. Rabinkin, State of the Art of Titanium-Based Brazing Filler Metals, Weld. J., 2003, 82, p 36-43Google Scholar
- 8.W.R. Frick, Brazing Handbook, American Welding Society, Miami, 1991Google Scholar
- 21.J.P. Abriata, J.C. Bolcich, and D. Arias, The Ge-Zr (Germanium-Zirconium) System, Bull. Alloy Phase Diagr., 1986, 7, p 43–47, p 99–100Google Scholar
- 23.T.B. Massalski, H. Okamoto, P.R. Subramanian, and L. Kacprczak, Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, ASM, Materials Park, 1990Google Scholar
- 28.J.J. Nickl, K.K. Schweitzer, and P. Luxenberg, Chemical Vapor Deposition of the Systems Titanium-Silicon-Carbon and Titanium-Germanium-Carbon, Proc. Int. Conf. Chem. Vap. Depos., 1972, 3, p 4-23Google Scholar
- 29.O.K. Belousov and I.I. Kornilov, The Solubility of Germanium System in the α-Titanium, lzv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Met., 1976, 1, p 168-169Google Scholar
- 30.W. Rossteutscher and K. Schubert, Strukturuntersuchungen in einigen T 4-5-B 4-5 systemen (Structural Studies of Pt-Ge system), Z. Metall. Trans., 1965, 56, p 813-822, in GermanGoogle Scholar
- 32.P. Villars and L.D. Calvert, Pearson’s Handbook of Crystallographic Data for Intermetallic Phases, ASM International, Materials Park, 1991Google Scholar