Application of Direct Metal Deposition Process for Failure Prevention of Oil Pump Gear Shaft in an Aero Engine
- 160 Downloads
Direct metal deposition process has been adopted for repair of oil pump gear shaft of an aero engine. The process is first optimized for the specific application of oil pump gear shaft material on a specimen and then the actual part was applied with deposition. The deposition on the gear shaft is validated through stringent quality checks and functionality check of the oil pump during bench test and engine test. The successful adoption of the deposition process is able to prevent failures which would otherwise cause catastrophic failure of the aero engine. Oil pumps are now withdrawn from service at a predetermined time prior to its scheduled inspection and overhaul for application of metal deposition.
KeywordsDefect analysis Wear resistance Wear
The authors are very grateful to the General Manger, Engine Division, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Bangalore for his kind permission for publishing this paper. The authors also appreciate and acknowledge the Director and Scientists of Central Manufacturing Technology Institute, Bangalore, and Dr. C. K. Srinivasa, Head of Department, Ultra Precision Engineering Department, A. R. Vinod, Scientist of Additive Manufacturing Technology and M. A. Manjunath, Scientist of Nano Manufacturing Technology Center in particular for their contribution and support without which the present work would not have been completed. The authors are also very thankful to the Center for Nano and Material Sciences, Jain University and Regional Center for Military Airworthiness for their guidance and support during work.
- 1.T.T. Hoang, Lubrication system for aircraft engine, U.S. Patent No. 8,312,969, 20 Nov 2012Google Scholar
- 2.A. Cornet, Process and device for lubricating an aircraft engine, U.S. Patent Application No. 09/785,016Google Scholar
- 3.A.K. Mishra, R.K. Mishra, G. Gouda, Effect of lubrication pattern on the performance of a small turbojet engine. J. Aerosp. Sci. Technol. 62(2), 152–157 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.J.L. Miller, D. Kitaljevich, In-line oil debris monitor for aircraft engine condition assessment, in Aerospace Conference Proceedings, 2000 IEEE, vol. 6 (IEEE, 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.B. Dutta et al., Direct metal deposition. Adv. Mater. Process. 167(3), 29–31 (2009)Google Scholar