Analysis of Micro Cracks Near Weld Line in ERW Pipe of API 5L X70M Grade
- 199 Downloads
A metallurgical root cause analysis was performed on Electric Resistance Welded (ERW) pipes having Ultrasonic Test (UT) indication near the weld line. Fine subsurface cracks have been observed in the ERW cracks which are found to be parallel to the weld flow line. A metallurgical cross section was drawn at UT indicated area on the ERW pipes of 406.40 mm (16 inch) diameter by 7.40 mm wall thickness and API 5L X70 PSL2 grade. Failure analysis is carried out by optical microscope and scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive spectroscopy.
KeywordERW Subsurface crack Oscillation marks Mold powder Meniscus
The authors are grateful to ERW Plant and MSU Baroda for supporting part of this analysis. The authors also would like to thank Welspun Management for permitting to publish this work.
- 1.E322, Inst. f. Strömungslehre und Wärmeübertragung, Ao.Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Herbert Steinrück, The Formation of Oscillation Marks in Continuous Casting of Steel (2001) (Online). http://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/projekte/2001/01-322-1.pdf. Accessed 10 July 2014
- 2.J. Elfsberg, Oscillation Mark Formation in Continuous Casting Processes (PhD Thesis, Casting of Metals, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.B.G. Thomas, Continuous Casting, Yearbook of Science and Technology, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2004), pp. 62–65 (Online). http://ccc.illinois.edu/publications.html#2004. Accessed 15 July 2014
- 4.R. Sato, Steelmaking Proceedings, Detroit, MI, vol. 62, pp. 48–67, 25–28 March 1979Google Scholar
- 5.I.G. Saucedo, Steelmaking Conference Proceedings, Washington DC, vol. 74, pp. 79–89, 14–17 April 1991Google Scholar
- 6.S. Aminorroaya, H. Edris, M. Fatahi, Hook Crack in Electric Resistance Welded Line Pipe Steel—Technical Report of LP Steel (Online). http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sima_Aminorroaya/publication/43499076_Hook_Crack_in_Electric_Resistance_Welded_Line_Pipe_Steel/links/00463526da2f61e509000000.pdf. Accessed 15 July 2014