Failure Analysis and Mechanical Performance Evaluation of a Cast Aluminum Hybrid-Iron Golf Club Hosel
- 662 Downloads
This article details the failure analysis of a commercial golf club hybrid-iron that fractured through the hosel during normal use. The golf club hosel was manufactured from a cast aluminum alloy, and the optical analysis revealed casting pores up to 20% through the hosel thickness. Mechanical properties of the aluminum alloy were determined for material characterization and used to construct a finite element model to analyze the performance of the material under failure conditions. In addition, a full structural scale experiment was conducted to determine the failure strength.
KeywordsFailure analysis Aluminum alloy Golf club
The authors would like to thank the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) at Mississippi State University for allowing the use of the equipment to perform the material characterization and mechanical experiments. CAVS acknowledges the collaboration provided through the SIMULIA Research & Development program under which licenses of Abaqus were provided. Also, we would like to thank Thomas E. Lacy Jr. Ph.D, professor in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at Mississippi State University, for his assistance and guidance.
- 2.M. Campbell, The Encyclopedia of Golf, vol 1 (Dorling Kindersley, London, 1991) pp. 9–19Google Scholar
- 3.T.W. Wishon, The Modern Guide of Golf Club Making: The Principles and Techniques of Building Golf Clubs from Component Parts. (Dynacraft Golf Products, Inc., Newark, 1987)Google Scholar
- 5.R. Maltby, Golf Club Design, Fitting, Alteration and Repair: The Principles and Procedures, 2nd edn. (Ralph Maltby Enterprises, Inc., Newark, 1982)Google Scholar
- 6.J.C. Shackelford, Development of a short range tracking system using an inertial measurement unit. Master’s Thesis, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Mississippi State University 2011Google Scholar
- 7.R.S. McGinnis, S. Nesbit, Open Sports Sci. J. 3, 155–164 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.K. Suzuki, S. Isobe, C. Wang, H. Kodama, Proc. Conf. Comput. Eng. Sci. 14(1), 103–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.E.L. Rooy, D.M. Stefanescu (ed.), ASM Handbook: Casting, 5th edn. (ASM International Handbook Committee, Metals Park, 2004) p. 743Google Scholar
- 16.J.J. Kaufman, E.L. Rooy, Properties and Performance of Aluminum Castings, Aluminum Alloy Castings: Properties, Processes, and Applications, 1st edn. (ASM International, Metals Park, 2004)Google Scholar