Failure Analysis of Radiant Tube Burners in Continuous Annealing Line (CAL) of an Integrated Steel Plant
- 134 Downloads
Failure analysis of radiant tube burners (ACI HK 40 with composition ~25 wt.% Cr, ~20 wt.% Ni) removed from a continuous annealing line (CAL) of a cold rolling mill (CRM) of an integrated steel plant was performed using optical microscopy (OM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), electron probe microanalysis (EPMA), and microhardness measurements. Studies revealed that the failures were mainly attributed to combined influences of creep and carburization-assisted localized oxidative attack. A suitable heat-resisting cast austenitic stainless steel was identified as a candidate alloy to replace the previously used ACI HK 40 alloy.
KeywordsCast austenitic stainless steel Radiant tube CAL CRM
The authors wish to express their sincere gratitude to Mr. A. S. Mathur, Executive Director Incharge and Dr. D. Mukerjee, Executive Director of Research and Development Center for Iron and Steel, Steel Authority of India Ltd. for granting them permission to publish this research article.
- 2.Neubauer, B., Wedel, U.: Rest life estimation of creeping components by means of replicas. In: Woodford, D.A., Whitehead, J.R. (eds.) ASME International Conference on Advances in Life Prediction Methods. ASME Publ. (1983)Google Scholar
- 8.ASM Handbook: Properties and Selection of Materials vol. 1, 8th edn. ASM International, OH (1977)Google Scholar
- 9.Grabke, H.J., Muller-Lorenz, E.M., Pippel, E., Straub, S.: Mechanisms of metal dusting of steels. In: Proceedings UK Corrosion and Eurocorr/94, Institute of Materials, Bournemouth, 31 Oct–3 Nov 1994Google Scholar
- 10.Lothongkum, G., Thaweepornkhasemsukh, N., Wangyao, P.: The effect of long-term thermal exposure at elevated temperatures on microstructures and mechanical properties in centrifugally casted iron-base alloy. J. Met. Mater. Min. 16(2), 25–31 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Schuetze, M.: Protective oxide scales and their breakdown. In: Holmes, D.R. (ed.) Series on Corrosion and Protection. Wiley, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.ASM Handbook: Failure Analysis and Prevention, vol. 10, 8th edn. ASM International, OH (1975)Google Scholar