Evaluation of Current Condition and Lifespan of Drinking Water Pipelines
- 163 Downloads
The condition of underground water pipelines was assessed, and a large amount of data for both the soil and the corresponding pipeline section were collected. Statistical techniques were employed first to establish the sampling design and later for the data analysis and obtaining a mathematical expression for pitting depth as a function of several experimental variables. The data were used to evaluate corrosivity, current condition and lifespan of the pipeline under study and present the results graphically in the form of maps. The approaches and techniques employed here provide a useful tool for structuring maintenance programs.
KeywordsIron pipes In-soil corrosion Modeling studies Pitting corrosion
The authors would like to thank to Empresas Públicas de Medellín E.S.P. by fully supporting this study. We also want to thank the support of the Programa de Sostenibilidad of the University of Antioquia for completion of this work.
- 8.Doyle, G., Grabinsky, M.: Applying GIS to a water main corrosion study. J. AWWA 95(5), 90–104 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Besson-Taboada, S.E.: Applying cast iron pipes aging prediction methodology to the Mendoza, Argentina drinking water network. Wat. Sci. Tech. Water Supply 1(4), 201–207 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Calderón, J., Delgado, J., Peñaranda, S., Restrepo, A.: Análisis estadístico de los factores que intervienen en la corrosión de tuberías enterradas (Statistic assessment of the factors that take part in the corrosion on buried pipe). Rev. Fac. Ing. 34, 23–34 (2005) (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 15.Peabody, A.W.: NACE basic corrosion course, Chap. 5, 2nd edn. NACE, Houston, TX (1971)Google Scholar
- 16.Chantereau, J.: Corrosión bacteriana. In: Acevedes-López, H., Lemos-Pastrana, A. (eds.) Chap. 4, 1st edn. Editorial Limusa, Mexico, D.F. (1985)Google Scholar
- 17.Husock, B.: Use of pipe-to-soil potential in analyzing underground corrosion problems. Corrosion 17(8), 97–101 (1961)Google Scholar
- 18.Spickelmire, B.: Corrosion considerations for ductile iron pipe. Mater. Perform. 41(7), 16–23 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Rossum, J.R.: Prediction of pitting rates in ferrous metals from soil parameters. J. AWWA 61(6), 305–310 (1969)Google Scholar