Low-Temperature Sintering of AlN Ceramics by Sm2O3-Y2O3-CaO Sintering Additives Formed via Decomposition of Nitrate Solutions
- 105 Downloads
The Sm, Y and Ca anhydrous nitrates were mixed with the AlN powder in ethanol and then decomposed into the Sm2O3-Y2O3-CaO sintering additives via calcining. Low-temperature sintering of the AlN ceramics was carried out at temperature range from 1675 to 1750 °C. Effects of the composition and adding amount of the sintering additives on the phases, microstructures and properties of the AlN ceramics were investigated. During sintering the AlN ceramics, main secondary phases of CaYAl3O7 and CaSmAl3O7 form. The relative density, bending strength and thermal conductivity of the AlN ceramics increase with the increase in the rare-earth oxides in them. The thermal conductivity of the sintered AlN ceramics is also greatly affected by the distribution of the secondary phases. As sintered at 1750 °C, the AlN ceramics by adding the sintering additives of 2 wt.% Sm2O3, 2 wt.% Y2O3 and 1 wt.% CaO formed via decomposition of their nitrates is fully dense and have the optimal bending strength and thermal conductivity of 402.1 MPa and 153.7 W/(m K), respectively.
KeywordsAlN liquid-phase sintering microstructure property sintering additive
This work was financially supported by Mega Project of Scientific and Technological Research, Anhui Province, China (Grant No. 15czz02047), and Natural Science Research Project in Colleges and Universities, Anhui Province, China.
- 1.Y.J. Yao, C.C. Li, X.L. Jiang, B. Liu, and T. Qiu, Effects of Rare Earth Oxide Additives on Dielectric Behaviors of Aluminum Nitride Ceramics, J. Chin. Ceram. Soc., 2010, 38(10), p 1982–1985Google Scholar
- 3.C.J. Duan, D.S. Yang, C.L. Jia, and Q. Wang, Spark Plasma Sintering of Aluminum Nitride, J. Chin. Ceram. Soc., 2003, 31(4), p 389–392Google Scholar
- 6.X.L. Huang, Q.Z. Ma, F. Li, and H.Q. Liu, Influence of CaO-Y2O3 as Sintering Aid on the Microstructure and Properties of AlN Ceramics, J. Inorg. Mater., 2002, 17(2), p 277–282Google Scholar
- 8.W.M. Tang, H. Zhang, S. Cui, Y.B. Wu, J. Zhan, A Method for Preparing the AlN Ceramics Substrate for Microelectronic Packaging, China Patent No. 201310454486.1Google Scholar
- 9.Y.P. Udalov, Z.S. Appen, and V.V. Parshina, Phase Diagrams for Ceramists, Westerville, The American Ceramic Society, Ohio, 1987Google Scholar
- 13.Z.D. Guan, Z.T. Zhang, and J.S. Jiao, Physical Properties of Inorganic Materials, Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 1992Google Scholar
- 17.A.V. Virkar, T.B. Jackson, and R.A. Cutler, Thermodynamic and Kinetic Effects of Oxygen Removal on the Thermal Conductivity of Aluminum Nitride, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1990, 21(10), p 2031–2042Google Scholar