Submerged arc welding under high heat input has been conducted on EH36 plate employing two series of CaF2-SiO2-CaO-fused fluxes. The effects of CaO and SiO2 on element transfer between slag and weld metal are systematically evaluated using thermodynamics. It is concluded that the substitution of CaF2 by CaO is an environmentally friendly approach to suppress the transfer of Si to weld metal and decrease the loss of Mn from weld metal to slag.
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.
Buy single article
Instant access to the full article PDF.
Price includes VAT for USA
Subscribe to journal
Immediate online access to all issues from 2019. Subscription will auto renew annually.
This is the net price. Taxes to be calculated in checkout.
1. S. Kou: Welding Metallurgy, 2nd ed.,Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2003, pp. 22–95.
2. N. Murugan and V. Gunaraj: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2005, vol. 168, pp. 478–487.
3. J. Zhang, J. Leng and C. Wang: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2019, vol. 50, pp. 2083–2087.
4. U. Mitra and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1991, vol. 22, pp. 73–81.
5. N. Pandey, A. Bharti and S. Gupta: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 1994, vol. 40, pp. 195–211.
6. K. Bang, C. Park, H. Jung and J. Lee: Met. Mater. Int., 2009, vol. 15, pp. 471–477.
7. D. Olson, S. Liu, R. Frost, G. Edwards and D. Fleming: Nature and Behavior of Fluxes Used for Welding, ASM Handbook, Materials Park, OH, 1993, vol. 6, pp. 43–54.
8. C. Natalie, D. Olson and M. Blander: Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci., 1986, vol. 16, pp. 389–413.
9. J. Indacochea, M. Blander, N. Christensen and D. Olson: Metall. Trans. B, 1985, vol. 16, pp. 237–245.
10. J. Zhang, T. Coetsee and C. Wang: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2020, vol. 51, pp. 16–21.
11. P. Burck, J. Indacochea and D. Olson: Weld. J., 1990, vol. 3, pp. 115–122.
12. C. Chai and T. Eagar: Metall. Trans. B, 1981, vol. 12, pp. 539–547.
13. D. Abson and R. Pargeter: Int. Met. Rev., 1986, vol. 31, pp. 141–196.
14. R. Farrar and P. Harrison: J. Mater. Sci. 1987, vol. 22, pp. 3812–3820.
15. C. Chai: Slag-Metal Reactions during Flux Shielded Arc Welding, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1980.
16. C. Chai and T. Eagar: Weld. J., 1982, vol. 61, pp. 229–232.
17. P. Kanjilal, T. Pal and S. Majumdar: Weld. J., 2007, vol. 10, p. 135–146.
18. E. Andersson and D. Sichen: Steel Res. Int., 2009, vol. 80, pp. 544–551.
19. T. North, H. Bell, A. Nowicki and I. Craig: Weld. J., 1978, vol. 57, p. 63–57.
20. C. Dallam, S. Liu and D. Olson: Weld. J., 1985, vol. 64, pp. 140–151.
21. B. Kim, S. Uhm, C. Lee, J. Lee and Y. An: J. Eng. Mater. Technol., 2005, vol. 127, pp. 204–213.
J. Jorge, L. de Souza, E. Marouco, O. dos Santos Filho and J. Diniz: Weld. Int., 2017, vol. 31, pp. 499–508.
J. Zhang, T. Coetsee, H. Dong and C. Wang: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2020, DOI: 10.1007/s11663-020-01821-z.
24. J. Indacochea and D. Olson: J. Mater. Energy Syst., 1983, vol. 5, pp. 139–148.
25. A. Polar, J. Indacochea and M. Blander: Weld. J., 1990, vol. 69, pp. 69–74.
26. G. Belton, T. Moore and E. Tankins: Weld. J., 1963, vol. 42, pp. 289–297.
27. I. Sommerville and D. Kay: Metall. Trans., 1971, vol. 2, pp. 1727–1732.
28. D. Gery, H. Long and P. Maropoulos: J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2005, vol. 167, pp. 393–401.
We thank the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51622401, 51861130361, 51861145312, and 51850410522), Newton Advanced Fellowship by the Royal Society (Grant No. RP12G0414), Research Fund for Central Universities (Grant No. N172502004), Xingliao Talents Program (XLYC1807024 and XLYC1802024), Liaoning Key Industrial Program (2019JH1/10100014), The Innovation Team of Northeastern University, and Global Talents Recruitment Program endowed by the Chinese government for their financial support. We thank the State Key Laboratory of Solidification Processing, Northwestern Polytechnical University (Grant No. SKLSP201805), Shagang Steel, and Lincoln Electric China. This work is also funded in part by the National Research Foundation of South Africa (BRICS171211293679).
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
Manuscript submitted February 29, 2020.
About this article
Cite this article
Zhang, J., Coetsee, T., Dong, H. et al. Fine-Tuned Element Transfer Strategies for Ternary CaF2-SiO2-CaO Fluxes in Submerged Arc Welding: An Environmentally Friendly Approach. Metall Mater Trans B (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-020-01879-9