Effect of Processing Parameters on Plastic Flow and Defect Formation in Friction-Stir-Welded Aluminum Alloy
- 2 Downloads
The effect of processing parameters on material flow and defect formation during friction stir welding (FSW) was investigated on 6.0-mm-thick 2014Al-T6 rolled plates with an artificially thickened oxide layer on the butt surface as the marker material. It was found that the “S” line in the stir zone (SZ) rotated with the pin and stayed on the retreating side (RS) and advancing side (AS) at low and high heat inputs, respectively. When the tool rotation rate was extremely low, the oxide layer under the pin moved to the RS first and then to the AS perpendicular to the welding direction, rather than rotating with the pin. The material flow was driven by the shear stresses produced by the forces at the pin–workpiece interface. With increases of the rotation rate, the depth of the shoulder-affected zone (SAZ) first decreased and then increased due to the decreasing shoulder friction force and increasing heat input. Insufficient material flow appeared in the whole of the SZ at low rotation rates and in the bottom of the SZ at high rotation rates, resulting in the formation of the “S” line. The extremely inadequate material flow is the reason for the lack of penetration and the kissing bonds in the bottom of the SZ at extremely low and low rotation rates, respectively.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 51331008.
- 1.W.M. Thomas, E.D. Nicholas, J.C. Needham, M.G. Murch, P. Templesmith, and C.J. Dawes, G.B. Patent Application No.9125978.8, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Zhemchuzhnikova, S. Mironov and R. Kaibyshev: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2016, vol. 48A, pp. 150–58.Google Scholar
- 13.Z. Zhang, B.L. Xiao, D. Wang and Z.Y. Ma: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2010, vol. 42A, pp. 1717–26.Google Scholar
- 17.K. Colligan: Weld. J., 1999, vol. 78, pp. 229–37.Google Scholar
- 21.P. Pourahmad, M. Abbasi and T. Nonferr: Metal. Soc., 2013, vol. 23, pp. 1253–61.Google Scholar
- 22.Y. Shimoda, M. Tsubaki, T. Yasui, M. Fukumoto, T. Fujita and J. Osawa: Steel. Res. Int., 2010, vol. 81, pp. 1108–11.Google Scholar
- 23.M. Fukumoto, M. Tsubaki, T. Yasui and K. Miyagawa: Steel. Res. Int., 2010, vol. 81, pp. 1096–99.Google Scholar