Text mining of rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes mellitus to understand the mechanisms of Chinese medicine in different diseases with same treatment
- 47 Downloads
To identify the commonalities between rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and diabetes mellitus (DM) to understand the mechanisms of Chinese medicine (CM) in different diseases with the same treatment.
A text mining approach was adopted to analyze the commonalities between RA and DM according to CM and biological elements. The major commonalities were subsequently verifified in RA and DM rat models, in which herbal formula for the treatment of both RA and DM identifified via text mining was used as the intervention.
Similarities were identifified between RA and DM regarding the CM approach used for diagnosis and treatment, as well as the networks of biological activities affected by each disease, including the involvement of adhesion molecules, oxidative stress, cytokines, T-lymphocytes, apoptosis, and inflfl ammation. The Ramulus Cinnamomi-Radix Paeoniae Alba-Rhizoma Anemarrhenae is an herbal combination used to treat RA and DM. This formula demonstrated similar effects on oxidative stress and inflfl ammation in rats with collagen-induced arthritis, which supports the text mining results regarding the commonalities between RA and DM.
Commonalities between the biological activities involved in RA and DM were identifified through text mining, and both RA and DM might be responsive to the same intervention at a specifific stage.
Keywordstext mining rheumatoid arthritis diabetes mellitus different diseases with same treatment Chinese medicine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lu AP, Li S. Principle and application of Chinese medicine syndrome differentiation and disease classification. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2010;30:84–86.Google Scholar
- 9.Liu YS. New usage of Zhibai Dihuang Pill. Gansu J Chin Med (Chin) 2010;23:11–12.Google Scholar
- 10.Berry M, Castellanos M, eds. Survey of text mining?. London: Springer Verlag;2008:21–22.Google Scholar
- 16.Lu AP, Chen KJ. Pondering on syndrome differentiation of diseases. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2005;25:843–845.Google Scholar
- 17.Gan XJ. Aplication of different diseases with same treatment in blood disease. J Emerg Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;19:795.Google Scholar
- 18.Wang D, Shang XL. Prevention and control on the geriatrics with Liuwei Dihuang Pill. Chin J Gerontol (Chin) 2011;31:524–527.Google Scholar
- 29.Arroul-Lammali A, Rahal F, Chetouane R, Djeraba Z, Medjeber O, Ladjouze-Rezig A, et al. Ex vivo all-trans retinoic acid modulates NO production and regulates IL-6 effect during rheumatoid arthritis: a study in Algerian patients. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 2017;39:87–96.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar