Compatible taper and stem volume equations for Larix kaempferi (Japanese larch) species of South Korea
- 49 Downloads
In this study, compatible taper and stem volume equations were developed for Larix kaempferi species of South Korea. The dataset was split into two groups: 80% of the data were used in model fitting and the remaining 20% were used for validation. The compatible MB76 equations were used to predict the diameter outside bark to a specific height, the height to a specific diameter and the stem volume of the species. The result of the stem volume analysis was compared with the existing stem volume model of Larix kaempferi species of South Korea which was developed by the Korea Forest Research Institute and with a simple volume model that was developed with fitting dataset in this study. The compatible model provided accurate prediction of the total stem volume when compared to the existing stem volume model and with a simple volume model. It is concluded that the compatible taper and stem volume equations are more convenient to use and therefore it is recommended to be applied in the Larix kaempferi species of South Korea.
KeywordsLarix kaempferi Taper volume equation Tree stem volume equation Compatible volume Segmented model Merchantable volume estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to express their gratitude to the Korea Forest Service for funding this research (Project No. S211316L020130).
- Bi H (2000) Trigonometric variable-form taper equations for Australian Eucalyptus. Forest Science 46(3): 397–409.Google Scholar
- Brooks J, Martin S, Jordan J, and Sewell C (2002) Interim taper and cubic-foot volume equations for young Longleaf pine plantations in Southwest Georgia. In: General Technical Report SRS–48. Asheville, North Carolina: United States, Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp 467–470.Google Scholar
- Brooks J (2001) Interim volume tables for Atlantic White cedar. The Consultant Winter 46(1): 24–28.Google Scholar
- Coble D, Hilpp K (2006) Compatible cubic-foot stem volume and upper-stem diameter equations for semi intensive plantation grown Loblolly pine trees in East Texas. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 30(3): 132–141.Google Scholar
- Korea Forest Research Institute (2012) Estimation of tree volume, biomass and stand yield table. Korea Forest Research Institute. Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)Google Scholar
- Martin J (1981) Taper and volume equations for selected Appalachian hardwood species. United States Department of Agriculture. Forest Service. Research paper NE-490.Google Scholar
- Max T, Burkhart H (1976) Segmented polynomial regression applied to taper equations. Forest Science 22(3): 283–289.Google Scholar
- SAS Institute Inc. (2004) SAS/STAT 9.1 User’s Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary. NC, USA.Google Scholar
- Son Y, Lee K, Lee W, Kwon S (2002) Stem taper equations for six major tree species in Korea. Journal of Korean Forest Society 91(2): 213–218. (In Korean with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Teshome T (2005) Compatible volume-taper equations for predicting merchantable volume to variable merchantable limits for Cuppressus lusitanica, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Science 28(1): 15–22. DOI: 10.4314/sinet.v28i1.18227Google Scholar
- Williams M, Reich R (1997) Exploring the error structure of taper equations. Forest science 43(3): 378–386.Google Scholar