MWCNT/activated-carbon freestanding sheets: a different approach to fabricate flexible electrodes for supercapacitors
- 8 Downloads
Wearable electronics require flexible supercapacitors with specially fabricated electrode materials, i.e., foldable and freestanding. Although activated carbon is the most used electrode’s active material for aqueous supercapacitors, it is a challenge to pack the particulates into flexible electrodes. Typically, polytetrafluoroethylene binder and polymeric flexible substrate are used, rendering a large amount of inactive-material. Here, we successfully fabricated multiwalled carbon nanotube/activated-carbon (MWCNT-AC) freestanding sheet via a scalable surface-engineered tape-casting technique to be used as a flexible electrode for aqueous supercapacitors. Instead of focusing on improving MWCNTs as active materials, the sheets act as a conducting matrix that binds together the activated-carbon particulates. MWCNT-AC has a specific capacitance of 135.17 Fg−1 (123.9 Fg−1 after 1000 cycles) at 1 Ag−1 from − 0.8 to 0.2 V vs. Hg/HgO (in three-electrode cell).
KeywordsActivated carbon Buckypapers Flexible Freestanding MWCNTs
The authors acknowledge the support of Applied NanoStructured Solutions LLC, a Lockheed Martin Company, for providing the MWCNT flakes. We thank Dr. Giovanni Palmisano for the use of the gas sorption system for specific surface area and pore analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.Kim J, Lee J, You J, Park M-S, Al Hossain MS, Yamauchi Y, Kim JH (2016) Conductive polymers for next-generation energy storage systems: recent progress and new functions. Mater Horiz 3:517–535. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6MH00165C
- 8.Lee J-H, Kim J, Kim TY, Al Hossain MS, Kim S-W, Kim JH (2016) All-in-one energy harvesting and storage devices. J Mater Chem A 4:7983–7999. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6TA01229A
- 12.Zhao J, Li Z, Zhang M, Meng A, Li Q (2016) Vertically cross-linked and porous CoNi2S4 nanosheets-decorated SiC nanowires with exceptional capacitive performance as a free-standing electrode for asymmetric supercapacitors. J Power Sources 332:355–365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.09.128 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Wang D, Song P, Liu C, Wu W, Fan S (2008) Highly oriented carbon nanotube papers made of aligned carbon nanotubes. Nanotechnology 19:75609. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/19/7/075609
- 25.Zhang M, Fang S, Zakhidov AA, Lee SB, Aliev AE, Williams CD, Atkinson KR, Baughman RH (2005) Strong, transparent, multifunctional, carbon nanotube sheets. Science 309(80):1215–1219. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1115311
- 27.Younes H, Al-Rub RA, Mahfuzur Rahman M, Dalaq A, Al Ghaferi A, Shah T (2016) Processing and property investigation of high-density carbon nanostructured papers with superior conductive and mechanical properties. Diam Relat Mater 68:109–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2016.06.016
- 28.Mustafa I, Lopez I, Younes H, Susantyoko RA, Al-Rub RA, Almheiri S (2017) Fabrication of freestanding sheets of multiwalled carbon nanotubes (Buckypapers) for vanadium redox flow batteries and effects of fabrication variables on electrochemical performance. Electrochim Acta 230:222–235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2017.01.186 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Malet BK, Shah TK (2014) Glass substrates having carbon nanotubes grown thereon and methods for production thereofGoogle Scholar
- 31.Shah TK, Liu H, Goldfinger JM, Morber JJ (2015) Carbon nanostructure-coated fibers of low areal weight and methods for producing the sameGoogle Scholar
- 33.Susantyoko RA, Alkindi TS, Kanagaraj AB, An B, Alshibli H, Choi D, AlDahmani S, Fadaq H, Almheiri S (2018) Performance optimization of freestanding MWCNT-LiFePO4 sheets as cathodes for improved specific capacity of lithium-ion batteries. RSC Adv 8:16566–16573. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8RA01461B