Excellent long-term electrochemical performance of graphite oxide as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries
- 155 Downloads
A facile, scalable route has been adopted to synthesize graphite oxides with different degrees of oxidation. Subsequently, graphite oxides with rationally designed functional groups have been utilized as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries (LIBs). The electrodes deliver the initial and second discharge capacities of 332 and 172 mAh g−1 at a current density of 0.1 A g−1, respectively. More importantly, a remarkable long-term cycling performance of 130 mAh g−1 after 800 cycles has been gathered, with an ultralow capacity fading of 0.03% per cycle from the second cycle. The root cause of excellent cycling stability should be ascribed to the admirable reversibility of epoxy and carbonyl groups in graphite oxides during the Li-cycling. Meanwhile, the deep study has provided a novel way to avoid complex and expensive post-treatment process of graphite oxides, whose synthesis conditions are also optimized. Those striking features make graphite oxides as promising cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries.
KeywordsGraphite oxide Oxygen-containing functional groups Lithium-ion battery Cathode material
This work is supported by the Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong (No. 2015B090901030).
- 11.Xiong D, Li X, Shan H, Zhao Y, Dong L, Xu H, Zhang X, Li D, Sun X (2015) Oxygen-containing functional groups enhancing electrochemical performance of porous reduced graphene oxide cathode in lithium ion batteries. Electrochim Acta 174:762–769. doi: 10.1016/j.electacta.2015.06.041 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Kim H, Lim H-D, Kim S-W, Hong J, Seo D-H, D-c K, Jeon S, Park S, Kang K (2013) Scalable functionalized graphene nano-platelets as tunable cathodes for high-performance lithium rechargeable batteries. Sci Rep 3. doi: 10.1038/srep01506
- 27.Livneh T, Haslett TL, Moskovits M (2002) Distinguishing disorder-induced bands from allowed Raman bands in graphite. Phys Rev B 66(19). doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.66.195110
- 30.Ai W, Liu J-Q, Du Z-Z, Liu X-X, Shang J-Z, Yi M-D, Xie L-H, Zhang J-J, Lin H-F, Yu T, Huang W (2013) One-pot, aqueous-phase synthesis of graphene oxide functionalized with heterocyclic groups to give increased solubility in organic solvents. RSC Adv 3(1):45–49. doi: 10.1039/c2ra22009a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Zhao G, Shao D, Chen C, Wang X (2011) Synthesis of few-layered graphene by H2O2 plasma etching of graphite. Appl Phys Lett 98(18). doi: 10.1063/1.3589354