Purpureocorticium microsporum (Basidiomycota) gen. et sp. nov. from East Asia
A corticioid fungal species found in mountainous Taiwan, and Yunnan Province of China, is described as a new genus and new species: Purpureocorticium microsporum (Agaricomycetes, Basidiomycota). Morphological study and phylogenetic analyses based on sequence data respectively derived from the large subunit nuclear ribosomal RNA gene (LSU nrDNA) alone and the combined dataset of LSU nrDNA and translation elongation factor 1-α gene (tef1-α) indicated that Purpureocorticium does not belong to any clade of the Agaricomycetes. Purpureocorticium and P. microsporum are characterized by having a resupinate basidiocarp with smooth hymenial surface which turns purple in KOH, and becomes purplish after storage, microscopically having compact texture of subiculum, nodose-septate thin-walled generative hyphae, absence of cystidia, basidia subclavate with a median constriction, or utriform, bearing ovate-ellipsoid small-sized basidiospores, which are smooth and thin-walled, inamyloid, and nondextrinoid. The new combination Rhizochaete rubescens is proposed, based on morphological and phylogenetic evidences.
KeywordsChina New genus New species Taiwan Taxonomy
This study was supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the ROC (grant no. 104-2621-B-178-001-MY3).
- Binder M, Justo A, Riley R, Salamov A, Lopez-Giraldez F, Sjökvist E, Copeland A, Foster B, Sun H, Larsson E, Larsson KH, Townsend J, Grigoriev IV, Hibbett DS (2013) Phylogenetic and phylogenomic overview of the Polyporales. Mycologia 105:1350–1373. https://doi.org/10.3852/13-003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Boidin J, Lanquetin P (1983) Basidiomycètes Aphyllophoralés épithéloïdes étalés. Mycotaxon 16:461–499Google Scholar
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- Hall BG (2004) Phylogenetic trees made easy: a how-to manual, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, SunderlandGoogle Scholar
- Nakasone KK (1990) Cultural studies and identification of wood-inhabiting Corticiaceae and selected Hymenomycetes from North America. Mycol Mem 15:1–412Google Scholar
- Nylander JAA (2004) MrModeltest v2. Program distributed by the author. Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Swofford DL (2002) PAUP*. Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods) version 4. Sinauer Associates, SunderlandGoogle Scholar
- Wu SH (1996) Studies on Gloeocystidiellum sensu lato (Basidiomycotina) in Taiwan. Mycotaxon 58:1–68Google Scholar