Mechanical, Optical, Thermal, and Barrier Properties of Poly (Lactic Acid)/Curcumin Composite Films Prepared Using Twin-Screw Extruder
- 104 Downloads
In this present work, we synthesized poly (lactic acid) (PLA)/curcumin composite films using a twin-screw extruder and evaluated their mechanical, optical, thermal, and barrier properties. The composite films were characterized using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), Universal testing machine (UTM), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), ultraviolet-visible spectrometry (UV-visible), colorimetry, goniometry, and oxygen permeation analysis. The results confirmed that, the composite films exhibited better ultraviolet radiation-blocking properties and hydrophobicities than did the reference PLA film. The oxygen and water vapor permeabilities of the composite films were also lower than those of the reference PLA film.
KeywordsCurcumin Poly (lactic acid) Twin-screw extruder Barrier properties
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Ranjeth Kumar Reddy T declares that he has no conflict of interest. Hyun-Joong Kim declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- 1.J.-W. Rhim, H.-M. Park, C.-S. Ha, ProgPolymSci 38(10), 1629–1652 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.L. Cabedo, J. Luis Feijoo, M. Pilar Villanueva, J.M. Lagarón, E. Giménez, MacromolSymp 233(1), 191–197 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.T.T.T. Nguyen, C. Ghosh, S.-G. Hwang, L.D. Tran, J.S. Park, J Mater Sci 48(7), 125–133 (2103)Google Scholar
- 19.Hiserod, Richard D., Chi-Tang Ho, and Robert T. Rosen. In Species Ed. by Sara J. Risch, Chi-Tang Ho, (ACS Publications, Washington, 1997), p. 97Google Scholar
- 21.T.T.T. Mai, T.T.T. Nguyen, Q.D. Le, T.N. Nguyen, T.C. Ba, H.B. Nguyen, T.B.H. Phan, X.P. Nguyen, J.S. Park, Adv NatSci :NanosciNanotechnol 3(2), 025014 (2012)Google Scholar