Pre-professional Suicide Training for Counselors: Results of a Readiness Assessment
Change is needed in mental health pre-professional suicide training (PPST) to address updates in practice, ethical/legal, and accreditation guidelines. Assessing readiness for change can inform successful, lasting change. The Community Readiness Model offered an established structure for research team analysis of interviews with educators, administrators, and supervisors representing diverse, accredited counselor training programs. An overall score of 4.9 out of 9 indicates the counselor education and supervision (CES) profession is in the preplanning stage of readiness to address PPST. Readiness dimensional subscores ranged from 3.6 to 6.6, which align with readiness stages from vague awareness to initiation. CES needs to increase readiness to improve PPST regarding logistical support, knowledge of existing training, active leadership support, and the attitudinal environment toward suicide and PPST. This assessment informs the work of training program administrators, state and national policymakers, educators, and supervisors to improve PPST for future counselors.
KeywordsSuicide Suicide training Counseling Readiness Counselor education Mental health training
This research was supported in part by a grant from the University of Colorado Denver Association of Lecturers and Instructors.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Ethics Approval and Consent to Participate
All procedures followed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation (institutional and national) and with the Helsinki Declaration of 1975, as revised in 2000 (5). Informed consent was obtained from all patients for being included in the study.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Allen, J., Mohatt, G., Fok, C. C. T., Henry, D., & People Awakening Team. (2009). Suicide prevention as a community development process: understanding circumpolar youth suicide prevention through community level outcomes. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 68(3), 274–291. https://doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v68i3.18328.CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- American Association of Suicidology. (2004). Core competencies for the assessment and management of individuals at risk for suicide. Washington, DC: Author Retrieved from www.suicidology.org/Portals/14/docs/Training/RRSR_Core_Competencies.pdf.Google Scholar
- Barrio Minton, C. A., & Pease-Carter, C. (2011). The status of crisis preparation in counselor education: a national study and content analysis. Journal of Professional Counseling, 38(2), 5–17.Google Scholar
- Barrio Minton, C. A., Gibson, D. M., & Wachter Morris, C. A. (2016). Evaluating student learning outcomes in counselor education. Alexandria: American Counseling Association.Google Scholar
- Beal, G. M. (1964). Social action: Instigated social change in large social systems. In J. H. Copp (Ed.), Our changing rural society: Perspectives and trends. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. (n.d.). Web-based injury statistics query and reporting system (WISQARS).Google Scholar
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. (2009). 2009 Standards. Alexandria: Author.Google Scholar
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. (2015). 2016 Standards. Alexandria: Author Retrieved from http://www.cacrep.org/news/2016-cacrep-standards-available-in-pdf-format/.Google Scholar
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. (2016). Annual report. Alexandria: Author Retrieved from http://www.cacrep.org/about-cacrep/publications/cacrep-annual-reports/.Google Scholar
- Cureton, J. L., Clemens, E. V., Henninger, J., & Couch, C. (2018). Readiness of counselor education and supervision to provide preprofessional suicide training. Manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- DeWalt, T. A. (2009). The primary prevention of sexual violence against adolescents in Racine County and the Community Readiness Model. Milwaukee: Marquette University.Google Scholar
- Isaak, C. A., Campeau, M., Katz, L. Y., Enns, M. W., Elias, B., & Sareen, J. (2010). Community-based suicide prevention research in remote on-reserve First Nations communities. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 8(2), 258–270. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-009-9250-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Johnson, K., Kennedy, S. B., Harris, A. O., Lincoln, A., Neace, W., & Collins, D. (2005). Strengthening the HIV/AIDS service delivery system in Liberia: an international research capacity-building strategy. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 11(3), 257–273. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2005.00532.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lauka, J. D., McCarthy, A. K., & Carter, D. A. (2014). A national survey on counseling training clinics in CACREP-accredited programs. Journal of Counseling in Illinois, 3(1), 5–16.Google Scholar
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills: Sage.Google Scholar
- McAdams, C. R., & Foster, V. A. (2000). Client suicide: its frequency and impact on counselors. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 22(2), 107–121.Google Scholar
- Merriam, S. B. (2009). Qualitative research: a guide to design and implementation (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Plested, B. A., Jumper-Thurman, P., Edwards, R. W., & Oetting, E. R. (1998). Community readiness: a tool for effective community-based prevention. The Prevention Researcher.Google Scholar
- Plested, B. A., Jumper-Thurman, P., & Edwards, R. W. (2006). Community Readiness: advancing suicide prevention in Native communities. Fort Collins: Center for Applied Studies in American Ethnicity, Colorado State University.Google Scholar
- Plested, B. A., Jumper-Thurman, P., & Edwards, R. W. (2009). Community readiness: advancing HIV/AIDS prevention in Native communities (Revised Ed). Fort Collins: Ethnic Studies Department, Colorado State University.Google Scholar
- Raper, J. D. (2010). An exploratory study of the relationships between educational, clinical, and personal exposure to suicide and suicide intervention skill (Doctoral dissertation). Syracuse University. https://doi.org/ProQuest (UMI Number 3429070).
- Rogers, E. M. (1962). Diffusion of innovations. Glencoe: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Rogers, J. R., Gueulette, C. M., Abbey-Hines, J., Carney, J. V., & Werth, J. L. (2001). Rational suicide: an empirical investigation of counselor attitudes. Journal of Counseling and Development, 79(3), 365–372. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.2001.tb01982.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schmitz, W. M., Allen, M. H., Feldman, B. N., Gutin, N. J., Jahn, D. R., Kleespies, P. M., et al. (2012). Preventing suicide through improved training in suicide risk assessment and care: an American Association of Suicidology Task Force report addressing serious gaps in U.S. mental health training. Suicide & Life-Threatening Behavior, 42(3), 292–304. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1943-278X.2012.00090.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2014). SAMHSA tribal training and technical assistance center webpage. Rockville. Retrieved from http://www.samhsa.gov/tribal-ttac.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center. (n.d.). SPRC American Indian/Alaska Native webpage. Retrieved from http://www.sprc.org/aian/basics-getting-started.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center and Suicide Prevention Action Network USA. (2010). Charting the future of suicide prevention: A 2010 progress review of the National Strategy and recommendations for the decade ahead. Newton. Retrieved from www.sprc.org
- Tri-Ethnic Center for Prevention Research. (2014). Community Readiness for community change. Fort Collins: Colorado State University Retrieved from http://triethniccenter.colostate.edu/CRhandbookcopy.htm.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration National Center for health workforce analysis. (2013). The U.S health workforce chartbook: Part IV behavioral and allied health. Rockville. Retrieved from http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/index.html.
- Warren, R. (1978). The community in America (3rd ed.). Chicago: Rand-McNally.Google Scholar
- Whipple, K., Caldwell, R., Simmons, S. J., & Dowd, D. (2008). Increasing community readiness for campus tobacco policy. American Journal of Health Studies, 23(2), 89–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7506-7458-4.50005-8.Google Scholar
- Wozny, D. A. (2005). The prevalence of suicide and violence assessment/intervention courses in CACREP- and COAMFTE-accredited counseling curriculums. VISTAS Online.Google Scholar