Sumoylation of SUVR2 contributes to its role in transcriptional gene silencing
The SU(VAR)-3-9-related protein family member SUVR2 has been previously identified to be involved in transcriptional gene silencing both in RNA-dependent and -independent pathways. It interacts with the chromatin-remodeling proteins CHR19, CHR27, and CHR28 (CHR19/27/28), which are also involved in transcriptional gene silencing. Here our study demonstrated that SUVR2 is almost fully mono-sumoylated in vivo. We successfully identified the exact SUVR2 sumoylation site by combining in vitro mass spectrometric analysis and in vivo immunoblotting confirmation. The luminescence imaging assay and quantitative RT-PCR results demonstrated that SUVR2 sumoylation is involved in transcriptional gene silencing. Furthermore, we found that SUVR2 sumoylation is required for the interaction of SUVR2 with CHR19/27/28, which is consistent with the fact that SUMO proteins are necessary for transcriptional gene silencing. These results suggest that SUVR2 sumoylation contributes to transcriptional gene silencing by facilitating the interaction of SUVR2 with the chromatin-remodeling proteins CHR19/27/28.
KeywordsSUVR2 sumoylation transcriptional gene silencing chromatin-remodeling proteins CHR19
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2016YFA0500801 to Xinjian He).
- Baumbusch, L.O., Thorstensen, T., Krauss, V., Fischer, A., Naumann, K., Assalkhou, R., Schulz, I., Reuter, G., and Aalen, R.B. (2001). The Arabidopsis thaliana genome contains at least 29 active genes encoding SET domain proteins that can be assigned to four evolutionarily conserved classes. Nucleic Acids Res 29, 4319–4333.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Budhiraja, R., Hermkes, R., Müller, S., Schmidt, J., Colby, T., Panigrahi, K., Coupland, G., and Bachmair, A. (2009). Substrates related to chromatin and to RNA-dependent processes are modified by Arabidopsis SUMO isoforms that differ in a conserved residue with influence on desumoylation. Plant Physiol 149, 1529–1540.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Groth, M., Stroud, H., Feng, S., Greenberg, M.V.C., Vashisht, A.A., Wohlschlegel, J.A., Jacobsen, S.E., and Ausin, I. (2014). SNF2 chromatin remodeler-family proteins FRG1 and -2 are required for RNA-directed DNA methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111, 17666–17671.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Han, Y.F., Zhao, Q.Y., Dang, L.L., Luo, Y.X., Chen, S.S., Shao, C.R., Huang, H.W., Li, Y.Q., Li, L., Cai, T., Chen, S., and He, X.J. (2016). The SUMO E3 ligase-like proteins PIAL1 and PIAL2 interact with MOM1 and form a novel complex required for transcriptional silencing. Plant Cell 28, 1215–1229.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Han, Y.F., Dou, K., Ma, Z.Y., Zhang, S.W., Huang, H.W., Li, L., Cai, T., Chen, S., Zhu, J.K., and He, X.J. (2014). SUVR2 is involved in transcriptional gene silencing by associating with SNF2-related chromatin-remodeling proteins in Arabidopsis. Cell Res 24, 1445–1465.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- He, X.J., Hsu, Y.F., Pontes, O., Zhu, J., Lu, J., Bressan, R.A., Pikaard, C., Wang, C.S., and Zhu, J.K. (2009). NRPD4, a protein related to the RPB4 subunit of RNA polymerase II, is a component of RNA polymerases IV and V and is required for RNA-directed DNA methylation. Genes Dev 23, 318–330.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ishida, T., Fujiwara, S., Miura, K., Stacey, N., Yoshimura, M., Schneider, K., Adachi, S., Minamisawa, K., Umeda, M., and Sugimoto, K. (2009). SUMO E3 ligase HIGH PLOIDY2 regulates endocycle onset and meristem maintenance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21, 2284–2297.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nathan, D., Ingvarsdottir, K., Sterner, D.E., Bylebyl, G.R., Dokmanovic, M., Dorsey, J.A., Whelan, K.A., Krsmanovic, M., Lane, W.S., and Meluh, P.B. (2006). Histone sumoylation is a negative regulator in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and shows dynamic interplay with positive-acting histone modifications. Genes Dev 20, 966–976.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Smith, L.M., Pontes, O., Searle, I., Yelina, N., Yousafzai, F.K., Herr, A.J., Pikaard, C.S., and Baulcombe, D.C. (2007). An SNF2 protein associated with nuclear RNA silencing and the spread of a silencing signal between cells in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19, 1507–1521.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tomanov, K., Zeschmann, A., Hermkes, R., Eifler, K., Ziba, I., Grieco, M., Novatchkova, M., Hofmann, K., Hesse, H., and Bachmair, A. (2014). Arabidopsis PIAL1 and 2 promote SUMO chain formation as E4-type SUMO ligases and are involved in stress responses and sulfur metabolism. Plant Cell 26, 4547–4560.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, H., Ma, Z.Y., Zeng, L., Tanaka, K., Zhang, C.J., Ma, J., Bai, G., Wang, P., Zhang, S.W., Liu, Z.W., Cai, T., Tang, K., Liu, R., Shi, X., He, X.J., and Zhu, J.K. (2013). DTF1 is a core component of RNA-directed DNA methylation and may assist in the recruitment of Pol IV. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 8290–8295.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar