Variational discretization for optimal control problems governed by parabolic equations
- 165 Downloads
This paper considers the variational discretization for the constrained optimal control problem governed by linear parabolic equations. The state and co-state are approximated by Raviart-Thomas mixed finite element spaces, and the authors do not discretize the space of admissible control but implicitly utilize the relation between co-state and control for the discretization of the control. A priori error estimates are derived for the state, the co-state, and the control. Some numerical examples are presented to confirm the theoretical investigations.
Key wordsA priori error estimates mixed finite element methods optimal control problems parabolic equations variational discretization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Haslinger J and Neittaanmaki P, Finite Element Approximation for Optimal Shape Design, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 1989.Google Scholar
- Liu W B and Yan N, Adaptive Finite Element Methods for Optimal Control Governed by PDEs, Science Press, Beijing, 2008.Google Scholar
- Neittaanmaki P and Tiba D, Optimal Control of Nonlinear Parabolic Systems: Theroy, Algorithms, and Applications, Dekker M, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- Tiba D, Lectures on the optimal control of elliptic equations, University of Jyvaskyla Press, Finland, 1995.Google Scholar
- Huang Y, Li R, Liu W B, and Yan N, Efficient discretization for finite element approximation of constrained optimal control problems, submitted.Google Scholar
- Raviart P A and Thomas J M, A mixed finite element method for 2nd order elliptic problems, aspects of the finite element method, Lecture Notes in Math., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1977, 606: 292–315.Google Scholar
- Li R and Liu W B, http://circus.math.pku.edu.cn/AFEPack.