Reporting the novel synthetic cathinone 5-PPDI through its analytical characterization by mass spectrometry and nuclear magnetic resonance
- 186 Downloads
In this work, the identification and characterization of the novel synthetic cathinone 5-PPDI found in a suspect drug sample were performed.
The suspect sample was analyzed by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC–MS), Fourier-transformed infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, ultra-high performance liquid chromatography–high-resolution mass spectrometry (HRMS) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.
The fragmentation observed in GC–MS and the identification of functional groups by FTIR was not enough for compound identification. After an exhaustive analysis of the accurate-mass fragmentation observed in HRMS, the compound was tentatively identified as the novel cathinone 5-PPDI. Finally, five different NMR experiments were used for the unequivocal identification and complete characterization of the compound. In addition, the origin of this cathinone was investigated in depth.
The analytical data provided in this work will be useful for the identification of 5-PPDI by forensic laboratories. In addition, the origin of this cathinone has been investigated, which could be of interest for the identification of future synthetic cathinones prepared following the similar synthesis route.
Keywords5-PPDI Synthetic cathinones 1-(2,3-Dihydro-1H-inden-5-yl)-2-(pyrrolidin-1-yl)butan-1-one High-resolution mass spectrometry NMR spectroscopy FTIR spectroscopy
D. Fabregat-Safont, J.V. Sancho, F. Hernández and M. Ibáñez acknowledge financial support from Generalitat Valenciana (Group of Excellence Prometeo II 2014/023 and from the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad in Spain (Project: CTQ2015-65603-P). The authors also acknowledge NPS-Euronet (HOME/2014/JDRUG/AG/DRUG/7086), co-funded by the European Union. This publication reflects the views only of the authors, and the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein. The authors are very grateful to the Serveis Centrals d’Instrumentació Científica (SCIC) of University Jaume I (UJI) for the use of NMR and ATR-FTIR instruments. D. Fabregat-Safont acknowledges Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte in Spain for his predoctoral grant (Grant FPU15/02033). X. Carbón, C. Gil and M. Ventura acknowledge the grants from Subdirecció General de Drogodependències, Departament de Salut, Generalitat de Catalunya and Plan Nacional sobre Drogas.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There are no financial or other relations that could lead to a conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (2017) European Drug Report 2017. EMCDDA–Europol Jt Publ 88. https://doi.org/10.2810/88175
- 2.Department of justice. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) (2014) Schedules of controlled substances: temporary placement of 10 synthetic cathinones into schedule I. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2014/03/07/2014-04997/schedules-of-controlled-substances-temporary-placement-of-10-synthetic-cathinones-into-schedule-i. Accessed 7 Dec 2017
- 3.China Food and Drug Administration (2015) 关于印发《非药用类麻醉药品和精神药品列管办法》的通知 公通字〔2015〕27号. http://www.sfda.gov.cn/WS01/CL0056/130753.html. Accessed 7 Dec 2017
- 4.Casale JF, Hays PA (2012) The characterization of α-pyrrolidinopentiophenone. Microgram J 9:33–38Google Scholar
- 11.Kudo K, Usumoto Y, Usui K, Hayashida M, Kurisaki E, Saka K, Tsuji A, Ikeda N (2014) Rapid and simultaneous extraction of acidic and basic drugs from human whole blood for reliable semi-quantitative NAGINATA drug screening by GC–MS. Forensic Toxicol 32:97–104. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11419-013-0215-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ibañez M, Sancho JV, Bijlsma L, van Nuijs ALN, Covaci A, Hernández F (2014) Comprehensive analytical strategies based on high-resolution time-of-flight mass spectrometry to identify new psychoactive substances. Trends Anal Chem 57:107–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2014.02.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Fabregat-Safont D, Fornís I, Ventura M, Gil C, Calzada N, Sancho JV, Hernández F, Ibáñez M (2017) Identification and characterization of a putative new psychoactive substance, 2-(2-(4-chlorophenyl)acetamido)-3-methylbutanamide, in Spain. Drug Test Anal 9:1073–1080. https://doi.org/10.1002/dta.2182 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Westphal F, Junge T, Rösner P, Fritschi G, Klein B, Girreser U (2007) Mass spectral and NMR spectral data of two new designer drugs with an α-aminophenone structure: 4′-methyl-α-pyrrolidinohexanophenone and 4′-methyl-α-pyrrolidinobutyrophenone. Forensic Sci Int 169:32–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.07.024 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kuś P, Kusz J, Książek M, Pieprzyca E, Rojkiewicz M (2017) Spectroscopic characterization and crystal structures of two cathinone derivatives: N-ethyl-2-amino-1-phenylpropan-1-one (ethcathinone) hydrochloride and N-ethyl-2-amino-1-(4-chlorophenyl)propan-1-one (4-CEC) hydrochloride. Forensic Toxicol 35:114–124. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11419-016-0345-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Liu C, Jia W, Li T, Hua Z, Qian Z (2017) Identification and analytical characterization of nine synthetic cathinone derivatives N-ethylhexedrone, 4-Cl-pentedrone, 4-Cl- α -EAPP, propylone, N-ethylnorpentylone, 6-MeO-bk-MDMA, α -PiHP, 4-Cl- α -PHP, and 4-F- α -PHP. Drug Test Anal 9:1162–1171. https://doi.org/10.1002/dta.2136 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Apirakkan O, Frinculescu A, Shine T, Parkin MC, Cilibrizzi A, Frascione N, Abbate V (2018) Analytical characterization of three cathinone derivatives, 4-MPD, 4F-PHP and bk-EPDP, purchased as bulk powder from online vendors. Drug Test Anal 10:372–378. https://doi.org/10.1002/dta.2218 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Fabregat-Safont D, Carbón X, Ventura M, Fornís I, Guillamón E, Sancho JV, Hernández F, Ibáñez M (2017) Updating the list of known opioids through identification and characterization of the new opioid derivative 3,4-dichloro-N-(2-(diethylamino)cyclohexyl)-N-methylbenzamide (U-49900). Sci Rep 7:6338. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-06778-9 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Flashback (2015) Ny RC “5-PPDI” Någon info om detta?. https://www.flashback.org/t2540560. Accessed 7 Dec 2017
- 27.Reddit (2015) 5-PPDI. https://www.reddit.com/r/researchchemicals/comments/2qhdkl/5ppdi/. Accessed 7 Dec 2017
- 28.Reddit (2015) 5-PPDI experiment #2. https://www.reddit.com/r/researchchemicals/comments/2u9hzw/5ppdi_experiment_2/. Accessed 7 Dec 2017