Hypouricemic effect of flaccidoside II in rodents
- 159 Downloads
To investigate the effect of flaccidoside II on the serum uric acid levels in hyperuricemic rodents. Both mice and rats were injected intraperitoneally with potassium oxonate to induce hyperuricemia. Different dosages of flaccidoside II were orally administrated to hyperuricemic and normal rodents for 7 days, respectively. Liver xanthine oxidase (XOD) activities in hyperuricemic mice were determined using the colorimetric method. Acute toxicity of flaccidoside II was also evaluated in mice. Allopurinol, as a positive control, was administered under the same treatment scheme. The results showed that flaccidoside II (32, 16 and 8 mg/kg) could significantly lower serum uric acid levels in hyperuricemic mice. Flaccidoside II (24, 12 and 6 mg/kg) could also markedly lower serum uric acid levels in hyperuricemic rats. However, unlike allopurinol, oral administration of flaccidoside II did not produce any observable hypouricemic effect in normal animals. Flaccidoside II at the dose of 32 mg/kg significantly suppressed XOD activities in the liver of hyperuricemic mice, while at doses of 16 and 8 mg/kg flaccidoside II did not show a significant effect on XOD activities. In addition, flaccidoside II (300 mg/kg) has no or less toxicity than allopurinol in mice. These findings demonstrate that flaccidoside II exhibits anti-hyperuricemic activity in hyperuricemic animals.
KeywordsFlaccidoside II Uric acid Hyperuricemia Xanthine oxidase Rodent
This study was supported by the Program for Science and Technology Innovation Talents in Universities of Henan Province (15HASTIT041), Foundation of He’nan Educational Committee (14A360010), Fundamental Research Funds for He’nan University of TCM (2014KYYWF-QN20) and the Program for STITHCCM (2014XCXRC02).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Jiang J, Bing F, Jiang G (1996) Anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects of total saponins from Anemone flaccida. Pharmacol Clin Chin Mater Med 12:20 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 4.Jiang J (2002) Effects of total saponins from Anemone flaccida on specific immune function of adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. J Chin Med Mater 25:194–195 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 6.Bing FH, Zhang GB, Su YQ (2010) Effects of W3 extracted from Anemone flaccida on spleen lymphocyte proliferation in mice. China Pharm 13:932–935 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 7.Huang J, Zhang G, Zhao Y, Bing F (2015) Clinical effects of Anemone flaccida capsules on the treatment of gouty arthritis. J Hubei Univ TCM 17:76–77 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 11.Bing FH, Yi YD, Zhang GB (2006) Pharmacokinetics of effective component of Anemone flaccida Fr. Schmidt in mice following single intra-gastric dosing. J China Pharm Univ 37:523–526 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 12.Bing FH, Yi YD, Zhang GB (2009) Pharmacokinetics of W3 from Anemone flaccida rhizome in rats. Pharmacol Clin Chin Mater Med 25:23–25 (Chinese) Google Scholar