From Popularity to Personality — A Heuristic Music Recommendation Method for Niche Market
- 220 Downloads
In most current recommender systems, the goal to accurately predict what people want leads to the tendency to recommend popular items, which is less helpful in revealing user’s personality, especially to new users. In this paper, we propose a heuristic music recommendation method for niche market by focusing on how to identify user’s personality as soon as possible. Instead of trying to improve algorithm's performance on new users by recommending the most popular items, we work on how to make them “familiar” with the system earlier. The method is more suitable for brand-new users, and gives a hint to solve the cold start problem. In real applications it is better to combine it with a traditional approach.
Keywordsmusic recommendation system niche market item popularity user personality
- Shardanand U. Social information filtering for music recommendation [Master’s Thesis]. Massachussets Institute of Technology, 1994.Google Scholar
- Shardanand U, Maes P. Social information filtering: Algorithms for automaing “word of mouth”. In Proc. ACM CHI 1995, Denver, USA, May 7–11, 1995, pp.210-217.Google Scholar
- Resnick P, Iacovou N, Suchak M, Bergstorm P, Riedl J. Grou-plens: An open architecture for collaborative filtering of net-news. In Proc. ACM 1994 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, Chapel Hill, USA, Oct. 22–26, 1994, pp.175-186.Google Scholar
- Schein A I, Popescul A, Ungar L H, Pennock D M. Generative models for cold-start recommendations. In Proc. 2001 SIGIR Workshop Recomm. Syst., New Orleans, USA, Sept. 9–13, 2001, pp.141-149.Google Scholar
- Schein A I, Popescul A, Ungar L H, Pennock D M. Methods and metrics for cold-start recommendations. In Proc. the 25th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2002), Tampere, Finland, Aug. 11–15, 2002, pp.253-260.Google Scholar
- Foote J. Content-based retrieval of music and audio. Multimedia Storage and Archiving Systems II. In Proc. SPIE, 1997, pp.138-147.Google Scholar
- Tzanetakis G. Manipulation, Analysis and Retrieval Systems for Audio Signals. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University, 2002.Google Scholar
- Cataltepe Z, Altinel B. Music recommendation based on adaptive feature and user grouping. In Proc. 22nd International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, Ankara, Turkey, Nov. 7–9, 2007, pp.1-6.Google Scholar
- Huang Z, Chen H, Zeng D. Applying associative retrieval techniques to alleviate the sparsity problem in collaborative filtering. IEEE Trans. Inf. Syst., 2004, 22(1): 116–142.Google Scholar
- Weng L T, Xu Y, Li Y, Nayak R. Improving recommendation novelty based on topic taxonomy. In Proc. the IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, Washington DC, USA, Nov. 2–5, 2007, pp.115–118.Google Scholar
- Zhang Z K, Liu C. A hypergraph model of social tagging networks. J. Stat. Mech., 2010, P10005, doi: 10.1088/1742-5468/2010/10/P10005.