A Workflow Process Mining Algorithm Based on Synchro-Net
- 73 Downloads
Sometimes historic information about workflow execution is needed to analyze business processes. Process mining aims at extracting information from event logs for capturing a business process in execution. In this paper a process mining algorithm is proposed based on Synchro-Net which is a synchronization-based model of workflow logic and workflow semantics. With this mining algorithm based on the model, problems such as invisible tasks and short-loops can be dealt with at ease. A process mining example is presented to illustrate the algorithm, and the evaluation is also given.
Keywordsworkflow process mining workflow logic workflow semantics Petri net
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gianluigi Greco, Antonella Guzzo, Giuseppe Manco, Domenico Saccà. Mining, reasoning on workflows. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering, April 2005, 17(4): 519–534.Google Scholar
- 2.Wil van der Aalst, Kees Max van Hee. Workflow Management: Models, Methods and Systems. Cambridge, Massachusetts, London: The MIT Press, 2002, pp.22–73.Google Scholar
- 3.A K A de Medeiros, W M P van der Aalst, A J M M Weijters. Workflow Mining: Current Status and Future Directions. Meersman R et al. (eds.), CoopIS/DOA/ODBASE 2003, LNCS 2888, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2003, pp.389–406.Google Scholar
- 4.W M P van der Aalst, A J M M Weijters, L Maruster. Workflow mining: Discovering process models from event logs. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering, September 2004, 16(9): 1128–1142.Google Scholar
- 5.Laura Maruster, A J M M (Ton) Weijters, W M P van der Aalst, Antal van den Bosch. Process mining: Discovering direct successors in process logs. Computers in Industry, April 2004, 53(3): 231–244.Google Scholar
- 6.A J M M Weijters, W M P van der Aalst. Rediscovering workflow models from event-based data using little thumb. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 2001, 10(2): 151–162.Google Scholar
- 7.A K A de Medeiros, B F van Dongen, W M P van der Aalst, A J M M Weijters. Process mining: Extending the α-algorithm to mine short loops. BETA Working Paper Series, WP 113, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Lijie Wen, Jianmin Wang, Wil M P van der Aalst, Zhe Wang, Jiaguang Sun. A novel approach for process mining based on event types. Tsinghua University and Eindhoven University of Technology, ISBN 90-386-2057-8/ISSN 1386-9213, WP 118, May 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Gianluigi Greco, Antonella Guzzo, Giuseppe Manco, Domenico Saccà. Mining frequent instances on workflow. Workshop on ID&CBM, Hinterzarten, Germany, March 12, 2004, pp.209–221.Google Scholar
- 10.Gianluigi Greco, Antonella Guzzo, Giuseppe Manco, Domenico Saccà. On the mining of complex workflow schemas. In Proc. Italian Conference on Advanced Database Systems — SEBD04. S. Margherita di Pula (CA), Italy, 2004, pp.118–129.Google Scholar
- 11.Chongyi Yuan. Principals and Application of Petri Nets. Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 2005, pp.213–258.Google Scholar