Performance of synthesized cast and electrospun PVA/chitosan/ZnO-NH2 nano-adsorbents in single and simultaneous adsorption of cadmium and nickel ions from wastewater
The performance of synthesized cast and electrospun polyvinyl alcohol/chitosan/zinc oxide/aminopropyltriethoxylsilane (PVA/chitosan/ZnO-APTES) nano-adsorbents were compared in removal of Cd(II) and Ni(II) ions from wastewater. The adsorbents were characterized by SEM, BET, FTIR and TGA analyses. Furthermore, the swelling investigations were carried out to study the adsorbent stability in aqueous solution. The effect of several parameters such as contents of ZnO-NH2, contact time, initial Cd(II) and Ni(II) concentration and temperature on the adsorption capacity was investigated in a batch mode. In comparison with cast adsorbent, nanofiber adsorbent indicated the better adsorption performance. The experimental data well fitted the double-exponential kinetic model. In single metal ion system, the maximum adsorption capacity of nanofiber for Cd(II) and Ni(II) ions is estimated to be 1.239 and 0.851 mmol/g, respectively, much higher than qm of cast adsorbent for Cd(II) (0.625 mmol/g) and Ni(II) (0.474 mmol/g) ions. Thermodynamic parameters were investigated to identify the nature of adsorption process. In binary system of Cd(II)-Ni(II) ions, the inhibitory effect of competitive Cd(II) ion on the Ni(II) adsorption was greater than the inhibitory effect of competitive on the Cd(II) adsorption. The selectivity adsorption of both nanofiber and cast adsorbents was in order of Cd(II) > Ni(II).
KeywordsAdsorption Cast adsorbent Electrospun nanofiber Amine groups Binary system Swelling ratio Cadmium Nickel
The financial support by Iran Nanotechnology Initiative Council is gratefully acknowledged by the authors.
- Bai Y, Bartkiewicz B (2009) Removal of cadmium from wastewater using ion exchange resin Amberjet 1200H columns. Pol J Environ Stud 18:1191–1195Google Scholar
- El-Hefian EA, Nasef MM, Yahaya AH (2010) The preparation and characterization of chitosan/poly (vinyl alcohol) blended films. J Chem 7:1212–1219Google Scholar
- Hanson AW (1944) Method of fabricating crystalline polymers. Google Patents. https://patents.google.com/patent/US2361371A/en
- Ilankoon N (2014) Use of iron oxide magnetic nanosorbents for Cr(VI) removal from aqueous solutions: a review. J Eng Res Appl 4:55–63Google Scholar
- Kokkinos E, Soukakos K, Kostoglou M, Mitrakas M (2017) Cadmium, mercury, and nickel adsorption by tetravalent manganese feroxyhyte: selectivity, kinetic modeling, and thermodynamic study. Environ Sci Pollut Res 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9738-2
- Petrella A, Spasiano D, Acquafredda P, De Vietro N, Ranieri E, Cosma P, Rizzi V, Petruzzelli V, Petruzzelli D (2018) Heavy metals retention (Pb(II), Cd(II), Ni(II)) from single and multimetal solutions by natural biosorbents from the olive oil milling operations. Process Saf Environ Prot 114:79–90CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taseidifar M, Makavipour F, Pashley RM, Rahman AFMM (2017) Removal of heavy metal ions from water using ion flotation. EnvironTechnol Innov 8:182–190Google Scholar