Simultaneous determination of sulfonamides and fluoroquinolones from environmental water based on magnetic double-template molecularly imprinting technique
- 147 Downloads
In this work, a fast and selective method based on magnetic extraction is presented for the simultaneous extraction of sulfonamides (SAs) and fluoroquinolones (FQs), followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry detection. In this method, magnetic surface double-template molecularly imprinted polymers (MSdt-MIPs) with superparamagnetic property and high selectivity toward both SAs and FQs were synthesized and directly applied to the simultaneous extraction of SAs and FQs from environmental water as magnetic adsorbents. The extraction and enrichment procedures could be accomplished in one single step by stirring the mixture of MSdt-MIPs and water sample, and the MSdt-MIPs with adsorbed analytes were easily separated from the water sample by a magnet afterwards. The adsorption mechanism of MSdt-MIPs was investigated by employing the adsorption thermodynamic and kinetic studies, and the selectivity of the MSdt-MIPs toward target analytes was evaluated through the selectivity test. For validation of the proposed method, the matrix effect was evaluated and compared to that of the traditional SPE method. Excellent linearity (R > 0.9990) for both SAs and FQs were obtained in the concentration range of 20–2000 ng L−1, and the limits of detection are in the range of 3.0–4.7 ng L−1 for SAs while 4.1–6.1 ng L−1 for FQs. Finally, the proposed method was successfully applied to the simultaneous determination of SAs and FQs in several environmental water samples.
KeywordsSulfonamides Fluoroquinolones Magnetic surface double-template molecularly imprinted polymer Environmental water Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
This work was supported by the Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of Jilin Province, China (Grant number 20150204070GX).
- Attallah OA, Alghobashy MA, Nebsen M, Salem MY (2017) Adsorptive removal of fluoroquinolones from water by pectin-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles: process optimization using a spectrofluorimetric assay. RSC Adv 5:133–145Google Scholar
- Hoff RB, Pizzolato TM, Peralba MDCR, Díaz-Cruz MS, Barceló D (2015) Determination of sulfonamide antibiotics and metabolites in liver, muscle and kidney samples by pressurized liquid extraction or ultrasound-assisted extraction followed by liquid chromatography–quadrupole linear ion trap-tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC–QqLIT-MS/MS). Talanta 134:768–778CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jansomboon W, Boontanon SK, Boontanon N, Polprasert C, Da CT (2016) Monitoring and determination of sulfonamide antibiotics (sulfamethoxydiazine, sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole and sulfadiazine) in imported Pangasius catfish products in Thailand using liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. Food Chem 212:635–640CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Konak Üİ, Certel M, Şık B, Tongur T (2017) Development of an analysis method for determination of sulfonamides and their five acetylated metabolites in baby foods by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography coupled to high-resolution mass spectrometry (Orbitrap-MS). J Chromatogr B 1057:81–91CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li C, Wang Z, Cao X, Beier RC, Zhang S, Ding S, Li X, Shen J (2008) Development of an immunoaffinity column method using broad-specificity monoclonal antibodies for simultaneous extraction and cleanup of quinolone and sulfonamide antibiotics in animal muscle tissues. J Chromatogr A 1209:1–9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tolmacheva VV, Apyari VV, Furletov AA, Dmitrienko SG, Zolotov YA (2016) Facile synthesis of magnetic hypercrosslinked polystyrene and its application in the magnetic solid-phase extraction of sulfonamides from water and milk samples before their HPLC determination. Talanta 152:203–210CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang N, Su M, Liang S, Sun H (2015) Sensitive residue analysis of quinolones and sulfonamides in aquatic product by capillary zone electrophoresis using large-volume sample stacking with polarity switching combined with accelerated solvent extraction. Food Anal Method 9:1020–1028CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao YG, Zhou LX, Pan SD, Zhan PP, Chen XH, Jin MC (2014) Fast determination of 22 sulfonamides from chicken breast muscle using core–shell nanoring amino-functionalized superparamagnetic molecularly imprinted polymer followed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1345:17–28CrossRefGoogle Scholar