Removal of MCs by Bi2O2CO3: adsorption and the potential of photocatalytic degradation
- 109 Downloads
Microcystins (MCs) is a kind of hepatotoxin, which is the secondary metabolite of cyanobacteria. Bi2O2CO3 (BOC) is a kind of cheap and nontoxic semiconductor material. BOC was synthetized by solvothermal method and then microcystin-LR (MC-LR) and microcystin-RR (MC-RR) were removed by BOC, through adsorption and photocatalytic degradation. When the dosage of BOC is 6 g/L, the MC-LR and MC-RR in the natural water sample can be completely adsorbed in 30 min and then after 12 h irradiation, MC-LR and MC-RR were photocatalytically degraded by BOC.
KeywordsMicrocystins Bi2O2CO3 Adsorption Photocatalytic degradation
Thanks to the technical support of the National Institute of Metrology, China.
This study was financially supported by Project of Engineering Research Institute of University of Science and Technology Beijing (YJ2009-016).
- Garibo D, Flores C, Ceto X, Prieto-Simon B, Del Valle M, Caixach J, Diogene J, Campas M (2014) Inhibition equivalency factors for microcystin variants in recombinant and wild-type protein phosphatase 1 and 2A assays. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 21(18):10652–10660. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3065-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mohamed ZA, Deyab MA, Abou-Dobara MI, El-Sayed AK, El-Raghi WM (2015) Occurrence of cyanobacteria and microcystin toxins in raw and treated waters of the Nile River, Egypt: implication for water treatment and human health. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 22(15):11716–11727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-4420-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xiao J, Xie Y, Han Q, Cao H, Wang Y, Nawaz F, Duan F (2016) Superoxide radical-mediated photocatalytic oxidation of phenolic compounds over Ag(+)/TiO(2): influence of electron donating and withdrawing substituents. J Hazard Mater 304:126–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2015.10.052 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu G, Jiang Y, Song G, Tan W, Zhu M, Li R (2014) Variation of Microcystis and microcystins coupling nitrogen and phosphorus nutrients in Lake Erhai, a drinking-water source in Southwest Plateau, China. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 21(16):9887–9898. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-2937-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zuo X, Cao Y, Gong A, Ding S, Zhang T, Wang Y (2016) Removal of microcystins by highly efficient photo-catalyst Bi2WO6-activated carbon under simulated light. Water Air Soil Pollut 227(4). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-016-2798-y