Removal of MCs by Bi2O2CO3: adsorption and the potential of photocatalytic degradation
- 57 Downloads
Microcystins (MCs) is a kind of hepatotoxin, which is the secondary metabolite of cyanobacteria. Bi2O2CO3 (BOC) is a kind of cheap and nontoxic semiconductor material. BOC was synthetized by solvothermal method and then microcystin-LR (MC-LR) and microcystin-RR (MC-RR) were removed by BOC, through adsorption and photocatalytic degradation. When the dosage of BOC is 6 g/L, the MC-LR and MC-RR in the natural water sample can be completely adsorbed in 30 min and then after 12 h irradiation, MC-LR and MC-RR were photocatalytically degraded by BOC.
KeywordsMicrocystins Bi2O2CO3 Adsorption Photocatalytic degradation
Thanks to the technical support of the National Institute of Metrology, China.
- Garibo D, Flores C, Ceto X, Prieto-Simon B, Del Valle M, Caixach J, Diogene J, Campas M (2014) Inhibition equivalency factors for microcystin variants in recombinant and wild-type protein phosphatase 1 and 2A assays. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 21(18):10652–10660. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3065-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mohamed ZA, Deyab MA, Abou-Dobara MI, El-Sayed AK, El-Raghi WM (2015) Occurrence of cyanobacteria and microcystin toxins in raw and treated waters of the Nile River, Egypt: implication for water treatment and human health. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 22(15):11716–11727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-4420-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xiao J, Xie Y, Han Q, Cao H, Wang Y, Nawaz F, Duan F (2016) Superoxide radical-mediated photocatalytic oxidation of phenolic compounds over Ag(+)/TiO(2): influence of electron donating and withdrawing substituents. J Hazard Mater 304:126–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2015.10.052 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu G, Jiang Y, Song G, Tan W, Zhu M, Li R (2014) Variation of Microcystis and microcystins coupling nitrogen and phosphorus nutrients in Lake Erhai, a drinking-water source in Southwest Plateau, China. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 21(16):9887–9898. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-2937-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zuo X, Cao Y, Gong A, Ding S, Zhang T, Wang Y (2016) Removal of microcystins by highly efficient photo-catalyst Bi2WO6-activated carbon under simulated light. Water Air Soil Pollut 227(4). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-016-2798-y