Genotoxicity of spent pot liner as determined with the zebrafish (Danio rerio) experimental model
Spent pot liner (SPL) is a solid waste generated during the primary smelting of aluminum, and its toxicity is attributed to the presence of fluoride, cyanide, and aluminum salts, which can be leached into aquatic ecosystems. Since the effects of this waste on aquatic life forms have not yet been investigated, the objective of our study was to evaluate the toxicity of simulated leachates of SPL on zebrafish (Danio rerio). Animals were exposed to 0 (control), 0.32, 0.64, or 0.95 g L−1 of SPL for 24, 72, and 96 h, and genotoxicity was accessed through micronucleus and comet assays. All of the tested treatments induced DNA fragmentation, and the observed frequency of micronuclei and damaged nucleoids generally increased with increasing SPL concentration. The highest frequency of micronuclei (3.3 per 3000 erythrocytes) was detected after 96 h of exposure with 0.95 g L−1 SPL. In the comet assay, nucleoids classified with highest level of damage in relation to the control were observed principally after 24 and 96 h of exposure. The data obtained in this study confirm the genotoxicaction and mutagenic potential of SPL and indicate that open-air deposits of the waste material could represent a health risk to humans and ecosystems alike.
KeywordsComet assay Micronucleus assay Gill cells Aluminum DNA fragmentation
We thank Pedro Henrique Cesar for support in the formatting of Fig. 4.
This work was supported by the Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq), the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Nível Superior (CAPES), and the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG).
Compliance with ethical standards
The handling of animals and the experiments conducted with them were carried out in strict accordance with institutional (Animal Experimentation Ethics Committee of the Federal University of Lavras (UFLA), Lavras, MG, Brazil) and national (National Council for Control of Animal Experimentation (CONCEA)) guidelines for the care and use of laboratory animals.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- ANDRADE LF, DAVIDE LC, GEDRAITE LS (2010) The effect of cyanide compounds, fluorides, aluminum, and inorganic oxides present in spent pot liner on germination and root tip cells of Lactuca sativa. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 73(4):626–631. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2009.12.012 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ANDRADE-VIEIRA LF, GEDRAITE LS, CAMPOS JMS, DAVIDE LC (2011) Spent Pot Liner (SPL) induced DNA damage and nuclear alterations in root tip cells of Allium cepa as a consequence of programmed cell death. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 74(4):882–888. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2010.12.010 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ANDRADE-VIEIRA, L.F., DE CAMPOS, J.M.S., AND DAVIDE, L.C., (2012). Effects of Spent Pot Liner on mitotic activity and nuclear DNA content in meristematic cells of Allium cepa.J Environ Manag,107, 140–146, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.04.008
- DAVID WM, MITCHELL DL, WALTER RB (2004) DNA repair in hybrid fish of the genus Xiphophorus. Review Comp Biochem Physiol 138:301–309Google Scholar
- DOS REIS GB, ANDRADE-VIEIRA LF, DE CAMPOS MORAES I, CÉSAR PHS, MARCUSSI S, DAVIDE LC (2017) Reliability of plant root comet assay in comparison with human leukocyte comet assay for assessment environmental genotoxic agents. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 142:110–116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2017.04.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- FAßBENDER C, BRAUNBECK T (2013) Assessment of genotoxicity in gonads, liver and gills of zebrafish (Danio rerio) by use of the comet assay and micronucleus test after in vivo exposure to methyl methanesulfonate. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 91(1):89–95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-013-1007-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fenech, M. et al. (2000). The HUman MicroNucleous Project—an international collaborative study on the use of micronucleous technique for measuring DNA damage in humans. Mutation Res, Amsterdam 428 (½), 271-283Google Scholar
- FREITAS AS, CUNHA IMF, ANDRADE-VIEIRA LF, TECHIO VH (2016) Effect of SPL (Spent Pot Liner) and its main components on root growth, mitotic activity and phosphorylation of Histone H3 in Lactuca sativa L. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 124:426–434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2015.11.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- KARLSSON-NORRGREN, L.; RUNN, P.; HAUX, C. AND FORLIN, L., (1985). Cadmiun-induced changes in gill morphology of zebrafish, Brachydanio rerio (Hamilton-Buchanan), and rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri Richardson.J Fish Biol,27, 81–95, 1, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1985.tb04011.x
- MARCUSSI S, SANTOS PR, MENALDO DL, SILVEIRA LB, SANTOS-FILHO NA, MAZZI MV, DA SILVA SL, STÁBELI RG, ANTUNES LM, SOARES AM (2011) Evaluation of the genotoxicity of Crotalus durissusterrificus snake venom and its isolated toxins on human lymphocytes. Mutat Res 724(1–2):59–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2011.06.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MARCUSSI S, STÁBELI RG, SANTOS-FILHO NA, MENALDO DL, SILVA PEREIRA LL, ZULIANI JP, CALDERON LA, DA SILVA SL, ANTUNES LM, SOARES AM (2013) Genotoxic effect of Bothrops snake venoms and isolated toxins on human lymphocyte DNA. Toxicon 65:9–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2012.12.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Narwal, SS., Catalán, CAN., Sampietro, DA., Vattuone, MA., Politycka, B., (2008). Plant bioassays, Studium Press, Houston pp1–344Google Scholar
- NTUK, U., WHITE, E., TAIT, S., STEEL, K., (2013). Prediction of solubilities of aluminium hydroxyfluoride hydrate recovered from spent pot lining. In: Proceedings of Chemeca 2013: challenging tomorrow. Chemeca 2013: Challenging tomorrow, Brisbane, QLD, Australia, (1–6). 29Google Scholar
- OLIVEIRA RC, FANTA E, TURCATTI NM, CARDOSO, R.J. AND CARVALHO, C.S. (1996) Lethal effects of inorganic mercury on cells and tissues of Trichomycterus brasiliensis (Pisces; Siluroidei). Biocell 20(3):171–178Google Scholar
- PALMIERI MJ, ANDRADE-VIEIRA LF, TRENTO MVC, ELEUTÉRIO MWF, LUBER J, DAVIDE LC, MARCUSSI S (2016) Cytogenotoxic effects of Spent Pot Liner (SPL) and its main components on human leukocytes and meristematic cells of Allium cepa. Water Air Soil Pollut 227(5):156–166. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-016-2809-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- PARAÍBA LC, BOEIRA CR, JONSSON CM, CARRASCO JM (2006) Fator de bioconcentração de poluentes orgânicos de lodos em frutos de laranjeiras. Revista Ecotoxicologia e meio ambiente 16:125–134Google Scholar
- R DEVELOPMENT CORE TEAM,2014. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical ComputingGoogle Scholar
- VILCHES, M., (2009). Análise genotóxica do Rio Cadeia/RS através do ensaio cometa e teste de micronúcleo e anormalidades nucleares utilizando peixes como bioindicadores. Dissertação (Mestrado em Qualidade Ambiental). Centro Universitário Feevale, Novo Hamburgo, BrasilGoogle Scholar