Essential oils from Foeniculum vulgare Miller as a safe environmental insecticide against the aphid Myzus persicae Sulzer
- 171 Downloads
Aphids are an important agricultural pest that not only damage plants by suction, but can also transmit a number of economically important plant viruses. Protection against aphids is based on the use of synthetic insecticides. However, these products can be dangerous for non-target organisms. Therefore, it is important to develop new, environmentally safe plant protection methods.
In this study, we have tested an essential oil (EO) obtained from Foeniculum vulgare for the mortality of Myzus persicae, an important polyphagous pest, its natural predator Harmonia axyridis, and Eisenia fetida as a representative of soil organisms. The EO, with its major compounds trans-anethole (67.9%) and fenchone (25.5%), was found to provide excellent efficacy against M. persicae (LC50 = 0.6 and LC90 = 2.4 mL L−1) while not causing any significant mortality of the tested non-target organisms. On the contrary, application of an insecticide based on the active substance alpha-cypermethrin not only caused mortality in the aphids, but also had a fatal negative effect on both the non-target organisms we tested, resulting in their high mortality.
Our results indicate very high prospects for using the essential oil from F. vulgare in the development of environmentally safe botanical insecticides designed for plant protection against aphids.
KeywordsBotanical insecticides Essential oils Harmonia axyridis Eisenia fetida No-target organisms
The author would like to thank the Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic for financial support of the botanical pesticide and basic substance research.
Financial support for this work was provided by the Ministry of Agriculture of the CR (project no. QJ1610082).
- Abramson CI, Wanderley PA, Wanderley MJA, Miná AJS, Baracho de Souza O (2006) Effect of essential oil from citronella and alfazema on fennel aphids Hyadaphis foeniculi Passerini (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and its predator Cycloneda sanguinea L.. (Coleoptera: Coccinelidae). Am J Environ Sci 3:9–10Google Scholar
- Abramson CI, Wanderley PA, Wanderley MJA, Silva JCR, Michaluk LM (2007) The effect of essential oils of sweet fennel and pignut on mortality and learning in Africanized honeybees (Apis mellifera L.) (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Neotrop Entomol 36(6):828–835. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1519-566X2007000600002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Aprotosoaie AC, Spac A, Hancianu M, Miron A, Tanasescu VF, Borneanu V, Stanescu U (2010) The chemical profile of essential oils obtained from fennel fruits (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.) Farmacia 58:46–53Google Scholar
- Benelli G, Pavela R, Iannarelli R, Petrellc R, Cappellacci L, Cianfaglione K, Afshar HF, Nicoletti M, Canale A, Maggi F (2017) Synergized mixtures of Apiaceae essential oils and related plant-borne compounds: larvicidal effectiveness on the filariasisvector Culex quinquefasciatus Say. Ind Crop Prod 96:186–195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2016.11.059 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Blackman RL, Eastop VF (2000) Aphids on the World’s crops. An identification and information guide, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Costa AV, Pinheiro PF, Rondelli VM, de Queiroz VT, Tuler AC, Brito KB, Stinguel P, Pratissoli D (2013) Cymbopogon stratus (Poaceae) essential oil on Frankliniella schultzei (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) and Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Biosci J 29:1840–1847HGoogle Scholar
- Costa AV, Pinheiro PF, de Queiroz VT, Rondelli VM, Marins AK, Valbon WR, Pratissoli D (2015) Chemical composition of essential oil from Eucalyptus citriodora leaves and insecticidal activity against Myzus persicae and Frankliniella schultzei. J Essent Oil Bear Plants 18(2):374–381. https://doi.org/10.1080/0972060X.2014.1001200 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Finney DJ (1971) Probit analysis. Cambridge University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Gupta BM, Yadava CPS (1989) Role of coccinellid predators in regulating the aphid Myzus persicae (Sulzer) population on cumin in field. Ind J Entomol 51:24–28Google Scholar
- He W, Huang B (2011) A review of chemistry and bioactivities of a medicinalspice: Foeniculum vulgare. J Med Plants Res 5:3595–3600Google Scholar
- Jansirani D, Nivethitha S, Singh MVP (2012) Production and utilization of vermicast using organic wastes and its impact on Trigonella foenum and Phaseolus aureus. Int J Res Biol Sci 2(4):187–189Google Scholar
- Lim SL, Lee LH, Wu TY (2016) Sustainability of using composting and vermicomposting technologies for organic solid waste biotransformation: recent overview, greenhouse gases emissions and economic analysis. J Clean Prod 111:262–278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.08.083 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- OECD (1984) Guideline for testing of chemicals no. 207. Earthworm, acute toxicity tests, OECD—guideline for testing chemicals. Paris, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Parejo I, Viladomat F, Bastida J, Rosas-Romero A, Flerlage N, Burilo J, Codina C (2002) Comparison between the radical scavenging activity and antioxidant activity of six distilled and nondistilled Mediterranean herbs and aromatic plants. J Agric Food Chem 50(23):6882–6890. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020540a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Piras A, Falconieri D, Porcedda S, Marongiu B, Goncalves MJ, Cavaleiro C, Salgueiro L (2014) Supercritical CO2 extraction of volatile oils from Sardinian Foeniculum vulgare ssp: vulgare (Apiaceae): chemical composition and biological activity. Nat Prod Res 28(21):1819–1821. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2014.948874 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ponsankar A, Vasantha-Srinivasan P, Senthil-Nathan S, Thanigaivel A, Edwin E-S, Selin-Rani S, Kalaivani K, Hunter WB, Alessandro RT, Abdel-Megeed A, Paik C-H, Duraipandiyan V, Al-Dhabi NA (2016) Target and non-target toxicity of botanical insecticide derived from Couroupita guianensis L. flower against generalist herbivore, Spodoptera litura Fab. and an earthworm, Eisenia foetida Savigny. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 133:260–270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2016.06.043 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vasantha-Srinivasan P, Senthil-Nathan S, Ponsankar A, Thanigaivel A, Chellappandian M, Edwin ES, Selin-Rani S, Kalaivani K, Hunter WB, Duraipandiyan V, Al-Dhabi NA (2017) Acute toxicity of chemical pesticides and plant-derived essential oil on the behavior and development of earthworms, Eudrilus eugeniae (Kinberg) and Eisenia fetida (Savigny). Environ Sci Pollut Res Int (in press). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9236-6