Performance Evaluation of Sleep Mode on Power Saving in WiMAX IEEE 802.16m and LTE DRX
Power saving represents a vital role in mobile communications networks such as IEEE 802.16m and LTE. Modern user equipment (UEs) require high data rates and low power consumption. It is found that arranging sleep mode mechanisms ensures UE battery longer lifetime. In this paper, different sleep mode mechanisms are investigated for both IEEE 802.16m and LTE networks. The analyses are based on Markov and Semi-Markov chains. It is focused on the determination of UE transition state. Web traffic model parameters were considered in MATLAB simulation and a comparison assessment was conducted between WiMAX IEEE 802.16m and LTE DRX. It was found that LTE DRX sleep mode provides more power saving than WiMAX IEEE 802.16m sleep mode. The study is now implemented for 5G networks with encouraging results.
KeywordsSleep mode IEEE 802.16m LTE LTE-A DRX Power saving Markov chain Semi-Markov chain Data traffic parameters
- 1.W. W. R. Forum, http://www.wwrf.ch/about-the-forum.html.
- 2.Das, S. K., Kumar, A., Das, B., & Burnwal, A. (2013). Ethics of reducing power consumption in wireless sensor networks using soft computing techniques. International Journal of Advanced Computer Research, 3(1), 301–304.Google Scholar
- 4.Das, S. K., Tripathi, S., & Burnwal, A. P. (2015). Design of fuzzy based intelligent energy efficient routing protocol for WANET. In Computer, communication, control and information technology (C3IT), 2015 Third international conference, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 6.Fowler, S. (2011). Study on power saving based on radio frame in LTE wireless communication system using DRX. In GLOBECOM Workshops (GC Wkshps) 2011 IEEE, pp. 1062–1066.Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE 802.16m/D4, Part 16: Air Interface for Broadband Wireless Access Systems: Advanced Air Interface, Feb. 2010.Google Scholar
- 9.Mihov, Y. Y., Kassev, K. M., & Tsankov, B. P. (2010). Analysis and performance evaluation of the DRX mechanism for power saving in LTE. In Electrical and electronics engineers in Israel (IEEEI), 2010 IEEE 26th Convention of IEEE, pp. 000520–000524.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhou, L., Xu, H., Tian, H., Gao, Y., Du, L., & Chen, L. (2008). Performance analysis of power saving mechanism with adjustable DRX cycles in 3GPP LTE. In Vehicular technology conference, 2008, VTC 2008-Fall. IEEE 68th, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 11.SMG, E. Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS); Selection procedures for the choice of radio transmission technologies of the UMTS. In ETSI Document TR, 101, pp 112.Google Scholar
- 13.Jin, S., Yue, W., & Zhang, X. (2014). Performance analysis of the sleep mode in WiMAX 2 networks with multimedia application. Journal of Applied Mathematics. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/976179.
- 14.Bhaskaran, A. M. (2013). Energy Efficient Communication for IEEE 802.16 e/m Networks. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 3, 428–432.Google Scholar
- 16.Hamad, A.M. (2012). Estimation of the parameter of an exponential distribution when applying maximum likelihood and probability plot methods using simulation. Ibn Al-Haitham Journal for Pure and Applied Science, 25, 10.Google Scholar
- 17.IEEE 802.16-2009, Part 16: Air Interface for Broadband Wireless Access Systems, May 2009.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, Y. (2007) Performance modeling of energy management mechanism in IEEE 802.16 e mobile WiMAX. In Wireless communications and networking conference, 2007, WCNC 2007, IEEE, pp. 3205–3209.Google Scholar
- 19.Kong, L., & Tsang, D. H. (2007). Optimal selection of power saving classes in IEEE 802.16 e. In Wireless communications and networking conference, 2007, WCNC 2007, IEEE, pp. 1836–1841.Google Scholar
- 20.Han, K., & Choi, S. (2006) Performance analysis of sleep mode operation in IEEE 802.16 e mobile broadband wireless access systems, In Vehicular technology conference, 2006, VTC 2006-Spring, IEEE 63rd, 3, pp. 1141–1145.Google Scholar
- 22.Zhu, S., Ma, X., & Wang, L. (2007). A delay-aware auto sleep mode operation for power saving WiMAX. In Computer communications and networks, 2007, ICCCN 2007, Proceedings of 16th international conference on IEEE, pp. 997–1001.Google Scholar
- 23.Access, E. U. T. R. (2008). & Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN). Overall description, 126.Google Scholar