Effects of Modulation Scheme on Experimental Setup of RGB LEDs Based Underwater Optical Communication
Underwater LED based Optical Communication has immense applications in the marine, autonomous underwater vehicle drivers and military fields. Compared with traditional underwater acoustic communication LED based optical communication offers secure, very high data rates (in ~ Gbps), and short wavelength which makes the antenna size of transmitter and receiver relatively small. In this paper an experimental setup of underwater LED (using Red, Green and Blue color) based optical communication in a 39 × 8 × 12 inches tank is designed to achieve data rates of 2 Mbps at a distance of 1 m. Furthermore, the performance comparison of free space and underwater optical link using ASK, FSK and PSK is made along with NRZ line encoding scheme. The results are presented and discussed in terms of eye diagrams and bit error rates. The experimental results reveal that the blue color LED has best received signal strength in comparison to the green and red LEDs in underwater medium. All three LEDs achieve a bit error rate of around 10−5 with blue LED achieving highest SNR of 22.5 dB.
KeywordsUnderwater LED Eye diagram SNR BER
The authors would like to thanks lab staff of optical communication laboratory, Department of Telecommunication Engineering, and Institute of Environmental engineering of Mehran University of ET, Jamshoro, Pakistan to help us testing the performance of underwater optical link.
- 1.Cossu, G., et al. (2013). Experimental demonstration of high speed underwater visible light communications. In Second IEEE international workshop on optical wireless communications (pp. 11–15).Google Scholar
- 2.Giles, J. W., et al. (2005). Underwater optical communications systems. Part 2: basic design considerations. In MILCOM 2005–2005 IEEE military communications conference (Vol. 3, pp. 1700–1705). Atlantic City, NJ.Google Scholar
- 3.Zeng, Z., Fu, S., Zhang, H., Dong, Y., & Cheng, J. (2017). A survey of underwater optical wireless communications. In IEEE communications surveys & tutorials (Vol. 19(1), pp. 204–238), Firstquarter.Google Scholar
- 4.Chaplin, M. (2016). Water absorption spectrum. Available: http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_vibrational_spectrum.html. Accessed 2 Oct 2017.
- 5.Kaushal, H., & Kaddoum, G. (2016). Underwater optical wireless communication. In IEEE access (Vol. 4, pp. 1518–1547).Google Scholar
- 7.Farr, N. E., Pontbriand, C. T., Ware, J. D., & Pelletier, L. P. A. (2016). Non-visible light underwater optical communications. In 2016 IEEE 3rd underwater communications and networking conference (UComms) (pp. 1–4), Lerici.Google Scholar
- 8.Haltrin, V. I. (1999). Chlorophyll-based model of seawater optical properties. Applied Optics 38(33).Google Scholar
- 10.Karunatilaka, D, Zafar, F., Kalavally, V., & Parthiban, R. (2015). LED based indoor visible light communications: State of the art. In IEEE communication surveys & tutorials (Vol. 17(3)). Third Quarter 2015.Google Scholar
- 11.Wen, D., Cai, W., & Pan, Y. (2016). Design of underwater optical communication system. In OCEANS 2016-Shanghai (pp. 1–4), Shanghai.Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, M., Wu, K., & Xu, H. (2015). A data-rate-regulable UWOC system using RZ-OOK modulation. In 2015 IEEE 9th international conference on anti-counterfeiting, security, and identification (ASID) (pp. 137–140), Xiamen.Google Scholar
- 13.Gayathri, C. B., Singh, D., Durga, S. D. M., & Narendara R. V. (2015). Design of high speed underwater optical communication using on–off keying algorithm. In 2015 international conference on communications and signal processing (ICCSP) (pp. 1355–1360), Melmaruvathur.Google Scholar
- 14.Yagimli, M. (2011). Design of laser based underwater communication system. Journal of Naval Science and Engineering, 7(2), 1–10.Google Scholar
- 15.Meihong, S., Xinsheng, Y., & Zhangguo, Z. (2009). The modified ppm modulation for underwater wireless optical communication. In 2009 international conference on communication software and networks (pp. 173–177), Macau.Google Scholar
- 16.Jasman, F. & Green, R. J. (2013). Monte Carlo simulation for underwater optical wireless communications. In 2013 2nd international workshop on optical wireless communications (IWOW) (pp. 113–117), Newcastle upon Tyne.Google Scholar
- 17.Kaushal, H., & Kaddoum, G. (2016). Underwater optical wireless communication. In IEEE access (Vol. 4, pp. 1518–1547).Google Scholar
- 18.Szili, T., Balázs, M., & Gábor, F. (2015) Water pollution investigations by underwater visible light communications. In 17th international conference on transparent optical networks (ICTON). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 19.Ali, M. A. A. (2015). Characteristics of optical channel for underwater optical wireless communication system. ISOR Journal of Electrical and Electonics Engineering, 10(2), 01–09.Google Scholar