UAV Based Data Gathering in Wireless Sensor Networks
- 50 Downloads
Recently, Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) have turned out to be a dominant subject of research due to its application areas. Moreover, with the integration of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) in the loop, WSN becomes more valuable and interested topic among research community. With the addition of UAV in WSN, life span of WSN is increased and communication between WSN and Network Control Centre becomes more efficient. UAVs not only increased the life of the network, but also reduce the data processing and memory related issues in the network. In this paper, we address the problem of data gathering from a WSN with altitude controlled UAV. Simulation results verify the effectiveness of our proposed method.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks (WSNs) Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) Network control centre (NCC) Sensor network (SN) Data gathering
This work is sponsored by the Higher Education Commission (H.E.C) of Pakistan.
- 3.Riva, G., & Finochietto, J. (2012). Pheromone-based in-network processing for wireless sensor network monitoring systems. In Proceedings of 2012 IEEE international conference on communications (ICC) (pp 6560–6564). https://doi.org/10.1109/icc.2012.6364847.
- 4.De Freitas, E.P., Heimfarth, T., Netto, I.F., Lino, C.E., Pereira, C.E., Ferreira, A.M., Wagner, F.R., & Larsson, T. (2010). UAV relay network to support WSN connectivity. In IEEE international congress on ultra modern telecommunications and control systems and workshops (ICUMT), 2010 Oct 18 (pp. 309–314).Google Scholar
- 5.Yrjölä, J. (2005). Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In T-79.194 seminar on theoretical computer science. Google Scholar
- 6.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A. & Balakrishnan, H. (2000). Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In IEEE proceedings of the 33rd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, 2000 (p. 10).Google Scholar
- 7.Oliveira, H.A., Barreto, R.S., Fontao, A.L., Loureiro, A.A. & Nakamura, E.F. (2010). A novel greedy forward algorithm for routing data toward a high speed sink in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of IEEE 19th international conference on computer communications and networks (ICCCN), 2010 (pp. 1–7).Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao, W., Ammar, M. & Zegura, E. (2004). A message ferrying approach for data delivery in sparse mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM international symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing (pp. 187–198). ACM.Google Scholar
- 10.Ho, D.T., Park, J. & Shimamoto, S. (2011). Performance evaluation of the PFSC based mac protocol for WSN employing UAV in rician fading. In IEEE wireless communications and networking conference (WCNC), 2011 (pp. 55–60).Google Scholar
- 11.Zhao, W. & Ammar, M.H. (2003). Message ferrying: Proactive routing in highly-partitioned wireless ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the ninth IEEE workshop on future trends of distributed computing systems FTDCS, 2003. (pp. 308–314).Google Scholar
- 12.Ho, T.D., Park, J. & Shimamoto, S. (2010). Novel multiple access scheme for wireless sensor network employing unmanned aerial vehicle. In IEEE/AIAA 29th digital avionics systems conference (DASC), 2010 (pp. 5-C).Google Scholar
- 13.Ho, D.T., & Shimamoto, S. (2011). Highly reliable communication protocol for WSN-UAV system employing TDMA and PFS scheme. In IEEE GLOBECOM workshops (GC Wkshps) (pp. 1320–1324).Google Scholar
- 14.Shah, R.C., Roy, S., Jain, S. & Brunette, W. (2003). Data MULEs: Modeling a three-tier architecture for sparse sensor networks. In: IEEE SNPA.Google Scholar
- 15.Jea, D., Somasundara, A.,& Srivastava, M. (2005). Multiple controlled mobile elements (data mules) for data collection in sensor networks. In Distributed computing in sensor systems (pp. 244–257). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhao, W., Ammar, M. & Zegura, E. (2005). Controlling the mobility of multiple data transport ferries in a delay-tolerant network. In Proceedings IEEE of 24th annual joint conference of the IEEE computer and communications societies INFOCOM. (Vol. 2, pp. 1407–1418).Google Scholar
- 17.Jawhar, I., Mohamed, N., Al-Jaroodi, J., & Zhang, S. (2013). Data communication in linear wireless sensor networks using unmanned aerial vehicles. In International conference on unmanned aircraft systems (ICUAS), May 28–31, 2013, Atlanta, GA: Grand Hyatt Atlanta.Google Scholar
- 19.Ali, Z.A., Wang, D., Masroor, S., & Shafiq Loya, M. (2016). Attitude and altitude control of trirotor UAV by using adaptive hybrid controller. Journal of Control Science and Engineering.Google Scholar