Co-tier Uplink Interference Management by Stackelberg Game with Pricing in Co-channel Femtocell Networks
Due to the development of the femtocell technologies, the indoor signal quality of the mobile communications is greatly improved. However, as the femtocells are widely deployed, the uplink interference from different femtocells, i.e. the co-tier uplink interference, turns out to be a critical problem to jeopardize the performance of the femtocell networks. To tackle this problem, the concept of Stackelberg game with pricing mechanism is employed. In this game, given a maximum co-tier uplink interference that the leader can tolerate, the optimum price to maximize the utility of the leader and the optimum transmission power to maximize the utility of the followers are determined by a distributed bargaining procedure. Based on the numerical results, we first show that the distributed bargaining procedure is effective and efficient in determining the optimum price and the optimum transmission power. In addition, we also conclude that the total network capacity can be improved on condition that leader can tolerate larger amount of co-tier uplink interference from the followers.
KeywordsFemtocell networks Co-tier uplink interference Pricing Distributed bargaining procedure Stackelberg game
The authors would like to thank Prof. Hwang-Cheng Wang, Prof. Fang-Chang Kuo, and Prof. Kuo-Chang Ting for their valuable suggestions to improve this paper. Furthermore, the authors would also like to thank Ms. Shih-Han Lo for her help in generating high-resolution figures in Sect. 4. This paper was supported in part by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan under Grant Numbers 101-2221-E-197-022, 104-2221-E-197-009, and 105-2221-E-197-003. Preliminary results of this work were published in VITAE 2014.
- 1.Cisco. (2017). Cisco visual networking index: Globe mobile data traffic forecast update. 2016–2021 White paper. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/mobile-white-paper-c11-520862.html.
- 3.ABI Research. (2017). In-building mobile data traffic forecast, 4Q 2015. https://www.abiresearch.com/market-research/product/1023888-in-building-mobile-data-traffic-forecast/.
- 4.ABI Research. (2017). ABI research anticipates in-building mobile data traffic to grow by more than 600% by 2020, Jan. 11 2016. https://www.abiresearch.com/press/abi-research-anticipates-building-mobile-data-traf/.
- 5.Small Cell Forum (2017). Small cell definition. http://www.smallcellforum.org/about/about-small-cells/small-cell-definition/.
- 7.Felegyhazi, M., & Hubaux, J. P. Game theory in wireless networks: A tutorial, EPFL technical report: LCA-REPORT-2006-002.Google Scholar