Virtualization Approach for Machine-Type Communications in Multi-RAT Environment
- 83 Downloads
Machine-type communications (MTC) represent a novel wireless communication paradigm that incorporates large number of devices and triggers several communication challenges. The MTC virtualization can overcome some of these challenges, provisioning decreased deployment costs, improved energy efficiency, improved coexistence with existing radio technologies, easy extensions of novel MTC technologies, etc. This paper discusses the virtualization approaches for MTC in a multi-RAT environment. The paper discusses the benefits and practical aspects of MTC virtualization, and evaluates the advantages and disadvantages of the Docker and OpenStack virtualization frameworks. The evaluation of both virtualization frameworks is conducted on a novel virtualized multi-RAT cloud-based demo platform that incorporates three distinct MTC technologies (SigFox, Z-Wave and LTE-M).
KeywordsC-RAN MTC Virtualization Containerization Docker OpenStack
- 3.Rinne, J., Keskinen, J., Berger, P.R., Lupo, D., & Valkama, M. (2017). Wireless energy harvesting and communications: Limits and reliability. In 2017 IEEE wireless communications and networking conference workshops (WCNCW) (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- 5.Ghazvini, F. K., Mehmet-Ali, M., & Doughan, M. (2017). Scalable hybrid MAC protocol for M2M communications. Computer Networks, 127(Supplement C), 151–160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2017.08.015. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389128617303134.
- 11.Khazaei, H., Bannazadeh, H., & Leon-Garcia, A. (2017). End-to-end management of IoT applications. In 2017 IEEE conference on network softwarization (NetSoft) (pp. 1–3)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, M., Yu, F. R., Si, P., Sun, E., Zhang, Y., & Yao, H. (2016). Machine-to-machine (M2M) communications in software-defined and virtualized cellular networks. CoRR. arXiv:1611.08725.
- 13.Li, M., & Hu, S. (2017). Machine-to-machine (M2M) communications in virtualized cellular networks with MEC. CoRR. arXiv:1706.09107
- 15.Checko, A. (2017). Cloud radio access network architecture: Towards 5G mobile networks. Ph.D. thesis. DTU Fotonik. https://books.google.mk/books?id=w4VpnQAACAAJ
- 16.Online information. https://docs.docker.com/engine/.
- 17.Online information. https://docs.docker.com/engine/docker-overview/.
- 18.Online information. https://docs.docker.com/get-started/.
- 19.Online information. https://docs.openstack.org/newton/install-guide-ubuntu/.
- 20.Online information. https://www.ni.com/en-rs/shop/select/software-defined-radio-device.
- 21.Online information. https://www.openstack.org/software/newton/.
- 23.Rakovic, V., Ichkov, A., Grosheva, N., Atanasovski, V., & Gavrilovska, L. (2017). Analysis of virtual resource allocation for cloud-ran based systems. In 2017 20th conference on innovations in clouds, internet and networks (ICIN) (pp. 60–64).Google Scholar