A ruthenium(II) complex with a methylated polypyridine ligand: synthesis, DNA binding, and antiproliferation activity
- 42 Downloads
A ruthenium polypyridine complex, [Ru(mptpy)(Mmptpy)Cl][PF6]2 (Ru1, mptpy = 4-(4-methylphenyl)-2,2′,6′,2″-mptpyridine, Mmptpy = 2-[4-(4-methylphenyl)-2,2′-bipyridin-6-yl]-1-methylpyridinum), was synthesised and characterised. The structure of the complex was determined by single-crystal X-ray crystallography. The ruthenium(II) core has an octahedral coordination environment. The interactions of the complex with DNA were analysed by UV–Vis and fluorescence spectroscopy, revealing a high binding affinity for double-stranded DNA. DNA photocleavage studies monitored by agarose gel electrophoresis showed that the complex cleaved DNA efficiently, whilst mechanistic studies showed that the complex produced reactive oxygen species including singlet oxygen, superoxide anions, and carbon-based radicals that cleave DNA. The complex also showed notable antiproliferation activity towards cancer cells in methyl thiazolyl tetrazolium assays.
We thank the Jiangxi Provincial Key Laboratory of Drug Design and Evaluation (20171BCD40015), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangxi Province (20181BAB213001), Graduate Students’ Science and Technology Innovation Project of Jiangxi Science & Technology Normal University (YC2017-X22), and College Students’ Science and Technology Innovation Project of Jiangxi Science & Technology Normal University (20181203021).
- 1.Sun RWY, Ma DL, Wong ELM, Che CM (2007) Dalton Trans 43:4884–4892Google Scholar
- 4.Cristina M, Huang HY, Riccardo R, Marcus S, Frank W, Chao H, Gilles G (2017) Eur J Org Chem 12:610–1745Google Scholar
- 7.Ouyang M, Zeng LL, Qiu KQ, Chen Y, Ji LN, Chao H (2017) Eur J Org Chem 12:1589–1764Google Scholar
- 25.E-Batal H, Rocha JM, Méndez PF, GodÍnez LA, Guo K, Li XP, Lu XC, Wesdemiotis C, Moorefield CN, Newkome GR (2015) Heterocycles 90:502–514Google Scholar
- 26.Sheldrick GM (2015) Acta Crystallogr Sect C-Struct 71:3765–3768Google Scholar