A theoretical study on the electronic sensitivity of the pristine and Al-doped B24N24 nanoclusters to F2CO and Cl2CO gases
- 102 Downloads
The adsorption behavior and electronic sensitivity of the pristine, and Al-doped B24N24 (Al-BN) nanoclusters toward two carbonyl halides (F2CO, and Cl2CO (phosgene)) were investigated using density functional calculations. It was found that the carbonyl halides interact with the pristine cluster very weakly while by replacing a B atom of the cluster with an Al atom, the adsorption energy is significantly increased. The electronic properties of the pristine BN nanocluster are not sensitive to F2CO but after the Cl2CO adsorption, its HOMO-LUMO gap (E g) is significantly decreased. Despite this decrease, the BN cage is still insulator and cannot be used as a sensor. The Al-doping overcomes this problem by a primarily reduction in the E g (from 6.45 to 4.88 eV). Our calculations indicate that by F2CO and Cl2CO adsorptions, the Al-BN cluster is transformed from insulator to a semiconductor. This phenomenon largely increases the electrical conductivity of Al-BN and can produce electrical noise which is responsible for the gas detection. Also, it is shown that the Al-BN selectively responses to F2CO and Cl2CO gases.
KeywordsPhosgene Nanostructures Sensor DFT F2CO
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of this work by the Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences ‘‘Professor’s Projects Funds’’.
- 9.Vessally E, Soleimani-Amiri S, Hosseinian A, Edjlal L, Bekhradnia A (2017) The Hartree-Fock exchange effect on the CO adsorption by the boron nitride nanocage. Physica E 87(3):308–311Google Scholar
- 10.Peyghan AA, Baei MT, Moghimi M, Hashemian S (2012) Adsorption and electronic structure study of imidazole on (6, 0) zigzag single-walled boron nitride nanotube. J Clust Sci 24:31–47Google Scholar
- 16.Vessally E, Soleimani-Amiri S, Hosseinian A, Edjlali L, Bekhradnia A (2017) A comparative computational study on the BN ring doped nanographenes. Appl Surf Sci 396(2):740–745Google Scholar
- 17.Nejati K, Hosseinian A, Edjlali L, Vessally E (2017) The effect of structural curvature on the cell voltage of BN nanotube based Na-ion batteries. J Mol Liq 229(3):167–171Google Scholar
- 18.Nejati K, Hosseinian A, Bekhradnia A, Vessally E, Edjlal L (2017) Na-ion batteries based on the inorganic BN nanocluster anodes: DFT studies. J Mol Graph Model 74(6):1-7Google Scholar
- 19.Safari L, Vessally E, Bekhradnia A, Hosseinian A, Edjlali L (2017) A DFT study on the sensitivity of two-dimensional BN nanosheet to nerve agents cyclosarin and tabun. Thin Solid Films 623(2):57-163Google Scholar
- 59.Behmagham F, Vessally E, Massoumi B, Hosseinian A, Edjlali LA Computational study on the SO2 adsorption by the pristine, Al, and Si doped BN nanosheets. Superlattice Microst. doi: 10.1016/j.spmi.2016.09.040