Finite simple groups with complemented maximal subgroups
- 38 Downloads
We study Problem 8.31 in  of the description of finite weakly factorizable groups, i.e., the groups whose every proper subgroup is complemented in a larger subgroup. By Lemma 1 of , the subdirect product of a completely factorizable group (such groups were studied by Ph. Hall and N. V. Baeva (Chernikova)) and a weakly factorizable group is a weakly factorizable group. In connection with a remark in , we observe that a dihedral 2-group is always weakly factorizable but, in general, it cannot even be obtained from the groups of prime order by repeated application of the lemma. Theorem 1, basing on the available maximal factorizations, shows that there exist exactly three finite simple nonabelian groups with complemented maximal subgroups. Theorem 2 confirms the conjecture of  on uniqueness of a finite simple nonabelian group with the property of weak factorizability. Earlier Theorems 1 and 2 were proven in special cases by A. G. Likharev.
Keywordsfactorization weakly complemented subgroup finite simple group maximal subgroup
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Kourovka Notebook. Unsolved Problems in Group Theory. Vol. 15, Inst. Math. (Novosibirsk), Novosibirsk (2002).Google Scholar
- 5.Chernikov N. S., Groups with Given Properties of a System of Subgroups [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.Conway J. H., Curtis R. T., Norton S. P., Parker R. A., and Wilson R. A., Atlas of Finite Groups. Maximal Subgroups and Ordinary Characters for Simple Groups, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Kleidman P. and Liebeck M. W., The Subgroup Structure of the Finite Classical Groups, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1990) (London Math. Soc. Lecture Notes; 129).Google Scholar
- 10.Liebeck M. W., Praeger C. E., and Saxl J., The Maximal Factorizations of the Finite Simple Groups and Their Automorphism Groups, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (1990) (Mem. Amer. Math. Soc.; 432(86)).Google Scholar
- 11.Likharev A. G., “On weakly factorizable Lie type groups of small ranks and sporadic groups, ” in: Algebra and Model Theory 4 [in Russian], NGTU, Novosibirsk, 2003, pp. 56–61.Google Scholar
- 12.Likharev A. G., “On finite weakly factorizable groups,” in: Abstracts: International Algebraic Conference, Moscow, Moscow Univ., 2004, pp. 88–89.Google Scholar
- 13.Tyutyanov V. N., “Finite simple groups with complemented maximal subgroups,” in: Abstracts: International Algebraic Conference (29.08–3.09.2005), UrGY, Ekaterinburg, 2005, pp. 78–79.Google Scholar
- 14.Levchuk V. M., “Functions on finite groups and some unsolved problems,” in: Abstracts: International Conference “Classes of Groups and Algebras” (5–7.10.2005), Gomel’Univ., Gomel’, 2005, pp. 72–73.Google Scholar
- 15.Carter R., Simple Groups of Lie Type, Wiley and Sons, New York (1972).Google Scholar
- 16.Bourbaki N., Lie Groups and Algebras. Chapters 4-6 [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar