Pennants for Garfield: bibliometrics and document retrieval
Eugene Garfield’s name, like that of any prolific author, can designate both an oeuvre and a person. That duality is explored here with pennant diagrams, a decade-old technique that can structure information about both oeuvres and persons in one scatterplot. Such diagrams are not readily made now, but may have a place in recommender systems of the future. This paper recapitulates the basics of creating and understanding them. In pennants, every term in a bibliometric distribution is weighted with a version of the TF * IDF formula from information retrieval. The distributions are generated by a seed term, such as a cited author’s name or a subject phrase, and consist of terms that co-occur with the seed in a database. TF * IDF orders the terms by relevance and specificity with respect to the seed—an outcome interpretable in light of relevance theory from linguistic pragmatics. Garfield’s name appears illustratively as a seed in one pennant and as a co-cited author in five others. Another example shows works by him and others that co-occur with the phrase “Citation Analysis” in Scisearch. Pennants are richly suggestive about authors, and here they are linked to a fruitful idea of Garfield’s that appeared in his first paper.
KeywordsTF * IDF Co-citation Relevance theory Specificity Processing effort
- Akbulut, M. (2016a). Atıf klasiklerinin etkisinin ve ilgililik sıralamalarının pennant diyagramları ile analizi [The analysis of the impact of citation classics and relevance rankings using pennant diagrams]. Yayımlanmamış yüksek lisans tezi, Hacettepe Üniversitesi, Ankara [Unpublished master’s thesis, Hacettepe University, Ankara]. http://www.mugeakbulut.com/yayinlar/Muge_Akbulut_YL_Tez.pdf.
- Akbulut, M. (2016b). Extended abstract: The analysis of the impact of citation classics and relevance rankings using pennant diagrams. http://www.mugeakbulut.com/yayinlar/tez_extended_abstract.pdf.
- Arf, C. (1941). Untersuchungen über quadratische Formen in Körpern der Charakteristik 2. Teil I. [Investigations on quadratic forms in bodies of characteristic 2. Part I.] Journal für die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik [Journal for pure and applied mathematics], 183, pp. 148–167.Google Scholar
- Carevic, Z., & Mayr, P. (2014). Recommender systems using pennant diagrams in digital libraries. In Paper presented at NKOS workshop, London, September 12, 2014. https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1407/1407.7276.pdf.
- Egghe, L. (2005). Power laws in the information production process: Lotkaian informetrics. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Furner, J. (2016). Type-token theory and bibliometrics. In C. R. Sugimoto (Ed.), Theories of informetrics and scholarly communication. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG.Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1955). Citation indexes for science: A new dimension in documentation through association of ideas. Science (Vol. 122, pp. 108–111). http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/science_v122v3159p108y1955.html.
- Garfield, E. (1972). Citation analysis as a tool in journal evaluation. Science (Vol. 178, pp. 471–479). http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/V1p527y1962-73.pdf.
- Garfield, E. (1979). Citation indexing: Its theory and application in science, technology, and humanities. New York: Wiley. http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/ci/title.pdf.
- Garfield, E. (2013). A century of citation indexing: Keynote address. COLLNET 2011 In Proceedings (pp. 5–10). https://mafiadoc.com/collnet-2011-proceedings_59aff6e81723ddb8c56166a8.html.
- Holmberg, J.H. (2012). Dynamisk kunskapsorganisation: teoretisk ansats och implementering. [Dynamic knowledge organization: Theoretical approach and implementation]. Bachelor Thesis, University of Borås/Swedish School of Library and Information Science.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The structure of scientific revelutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Larsen, B. (2008). Informetrics and IR. Presentation at the Nordic Research School in Information Studies (NORSLIS), Umea, Sweden. http://itlab.dbit.dk/~blar/files/Norslis_Umea-june2008_BL2.ppt.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., & Randall, R. J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 193(1), 265–275.Google Scholar
- Price, D. J. D. (1970). Citation measures of hard science, soft science, technology, and nonscience. In C. E. Nelson & D. K. Pollock (Eds.), Communication among scientists and engineers. Lexington: Heath Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Sandstrom, P. E., & White, H. D. (2007). The impact of cultural materialism: A bibliometric analysis of the writings of Marvin Harris. In L. A. Kuznar & S. K. Sanderson (Eds.), Studying societies and cultures: Marvin Harris’s cultural materialism and its legacy (pp. 20–55). Boulder: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- Schneider, J.W., Larsen, B., & Ingwersen, P. (2007). Pennant diagrams, what is it [sic], what are the possibilities and are they useful? In Presentation at the Nordic Workshop on Bibliometrics and Research Policy, Copenhagen, September 13-14, 2007. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b674/7068496b8b72a5b017281b2dce75844b1e3d.pdf.
- Sperber, D., & Wilson, D. (1986). Relevance: Communication and cognition. Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Sperber, D., & Wilson, D. (1995). Relevance: Communication and cognition. 2nd edn. with postface. Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Tonta, Y., & Çelik, A. E. Ö. (2013). Cahit Arf: Exploring his scientific influence using social network analysis, author co-citation maps and single publication h index. Journal of Scientometric Research, 2(1), pp. 37–51. http://www.jscires.org/article/38.
- White, H. D. (2000). Toward ego-centered citation analysis. In B. Cronin & H. B. Atkins (Eds.), The web of knowledge: A festschrift in honor of Eugene Garfield (pp. 475–496). Medford Township: Information Today.Google Scholar
- White, H.D. (2009). Pennants for Strindberg and Persson. Celebrating scholarly communication studies: A festschrift for Olle Persson at his 60th birthday, Special volume of the e-newletter of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics, 5-S, 71–83. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229861362_Pennants_for_Strindberg_and_Persson.
- White, H.D. (2010b). Ingwersen’s image and identity compared. In Larsen, B., Schneider, J.W., Ångström, F.,Schlemmer, B. (Eds.), The Janus faced scholar: A festschrift in honour of Peter Ingwersen. Special volume of the e-zine of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics, 6-S, pp. 219–227. http://vbn.aau.dk/files/90357690/JanusFacedScholer_Festschrift_PeterIngwersen_2010.pdf#page=222.
- White, H. D. (2016a). Authors as persons and authors as bundles of words. In C. R. Sugimoto (Ed.), Theories of informetrics and scholarly communication: A festschrift in honor of Blaise Cronin. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- White, H. D. (2017a). Bag of works retrieval: TF * IDF weighting of works co-cited with a seed. International Journal on Digital Libraries pp. 1–11. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00799-017-0217-7.
- White, H.D., & Mayr, P. (2013). Pennants for descriptors. In Paper presented at the NKOS Workshop, Valletta, Malta, September 26, 2013. https://arxiv.org/abs/1310.3808.
- Wilson, C. S. (1999). Informetrics. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 34, 107–247.Google Scholar
- Yongxia, L., Liu, Z., & Chen, C.M. (2009). Eugene Garfield’s contributions to the formation and development of citation analysis—A visual analysis of Eugene Garfield’s publications in celebration of his 84th birthday. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on WIS & Tenth COLLNET Meeting, Dalian, China, September 13-16, 2009. CD-ROM.Google Scholar