Under-cited influential work by Eugene Garfield
- 202 Downloads
We show that Eugene Garfield published articles which are neither highly cited nor completely ignored, but had a clear influence on subsequent citation generations. More precisely, we found ten articles that are under-cited influential publications, in the sense given to this expression in our earlier work. By publishing this investigation we hope to contribute to the remembrance of this great pioneer in our field.
KeywordsGarfield Under-cited influential publications
This work is supported by a grant of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC Grant No. 71573225). The authors would like to thank Yuning Zhang for her help in data collection.
- Cawkell, A. E., & Garfield, E. (2001). Institute for scientific information. In E. H. Fredriksson (Ed.), A Century of Science Publishing: A Collection of Essays, (pp. 149–160). Amsterdam: IOS Press.Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1963). Science Citation Index. An international interdisciplinary index to the literature of science. Philadelphia: Institute for Scientific information.Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1980). Excerpta Medica. Abstracting the biomedical literature for the medical specialist. Current Contents, (Issue 28, July 14).Google Scholar
- Garfield, E. (1987). New compounds and reactions are as close as your PC with the Index Chemicus and Current Chemical-Reactions personal databases. Current Contents, (Issue 9, March 2).Google Scholar
- Hu, X. J., & Rousseau, R. (2017b). Do under-cited influential sleeping beauties exist? Proceedings of ISSI2017 (to appear).Google Scholar