Cext-N index: a network node centrality measure for collaborative relationship distribution
- 465 Downloads
This paper focuses on methods to study the distribution of an author’s collaborative relationships among different communities in co-authorship networks. Based on the index of extensity centrality, we propose a new index and name it extensity centrality-Newman (Cext-N). Drawing upon a data set of three top journals (MISQ, ISR, JMIS) between 2010 and 2012 in Information Systems, we verify and describe the application and value of our approach. Due to the fact that the starting points among Cext-N and classical indices are quite different and a single index is not advocated in scientific evaluation, we can select the indices in actual application by considering their starting points to ensure the value of each index is taken into account.
KeywordsCentrality measure Co-authorship network Collaborative relationship distribution Lambda sets Community
This work is partly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of PRC (Nos. 71172157, 71201039, 71371059 and 71301035) and a grant from the Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (#2014M550198), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant No. HIT. HSS. 201205).
- Barabási, A. L., Jeong, H., Néda, Z., Ravasz, E., Schubert, A., & Vicsek, T. (2008). Evolution of the social network of scientific collaborations. Physica A, 311(3–4), 590–614.Google Scholar
- Blondel, V. D., Guillaume, J. L., Lambiotte, R., & Lefebvre, E. (2008). Fast unfolding of communities in large networks. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, 5(10), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Borgatti, S. P., Everett, M. G., & Freeman, L. C. (2002). UCINET for windows: Software for social network analysis. Harvard: Analytic Technologies.Google Scholar
- Davis, D., Lichtenwalter, R., & Chawla, N. V. (2013). Supervised methods for multirelational link prediction. Social Network Analysis and Mining, 3(2), 127–141.Google Scholar
- Newman, M. E. J. (2010). Networks: An introduction. Oxford University Press, 167–169, 183.Google Scholar
- Page, L., Brin, S., Motwani, R., & Winograd. T. (1998). The PageRank citation ranking: Bringing order to the web. Technical Report. Stanford InfoLab.Google Scholar
- Park, S., Park, M., Kim, H., Kim, H., Yoon, W., Yoon, T. B., et al. (2013). A closeness centrality analysis algorithm for workflow-supported social networks. In 2013 15th International conference on advanced communication technology (ICACT) (pp. 158–161).Google Scholar
- Yamashita, Y., & Okubo, Y. (2006). Patterns of scientific collaboration between Japan and France: Inter-sectoral analysis using Probabilistic Partnership Index (PPI). Scientometrics, 68(2), 303–324.Google Scholar