Economic statistics and scientometrics
- 631 Downloads
This paper provides scientometricians with a brief overview of the history of economic statistics and its international standards. Part of the latter is the Frascati family of standards in science and technology input statistics. Some recommendations are given for improvements in these standards. Proposals are developed to relate research inputs as defined in the Frascati manual and bibliometrically measured outputs.
KeywordsScientometrics Input indicators Economic statistics National accounts Frascati
Formerly (1999–2008) at The Netherlands Ministry of Education, Culture and Science as Director of Research and Science Policy. From 1983 to 1999 at Statistics Netherlands, as Chief of the National Accounts Research Unit, Head of the Departments of Labor and Education Statistics, and Director of Socio-Economic Statistics. I am grateful to Cathelijn Waaijer for comments on the manuscript.
- Al, P. G., & Van Bochove, C. A. (1987). A synoptic structure of the system of national accounts. Review of Income and Wealth, 33, 45–70.Google Scholar
- Alfieri, A.C., I. Havinga, J. Schwarzler (2004) with the assistance of Ralf Becker Statistical Framework for the Measurement of Movement of Natural Persons, A Proposal (Draft), Background Document Bopcom-04/14a on Work of the Technical Sub-Group on Movement of Natural Persons Seventeenth Meeting of the IMF Committee on Balance of Payments Statistics, Pretoria, Oct 26–29.Google Scholar
- Bonaccorsi, A. & Daraio, C. (2004). Econometric approaches to the analysis of productivity of R&D systems. In H. F. Moed et al (eds.), Handbook of Quantitative Science and Technology Research (pp 51–74). Kluwer Academic Publishers: the Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Buhmann, B., W. Leunis, A. Vuille and K. Wismer (2002) Labour Accounts: A Step Forward to a Coherent and Timely Description of the Labour Market. ILO website. http://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/stat/download/articles/2002-2.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Commission of the European Communities, IMF, OECD, UN, World Bank (1993) System of National Accounts 1993, Brussels/Luxembourg, New York, Paris, Washington.Google Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities, IMF, OECD, UN, World Bank (2008) System of National Accounts 2008. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/nationalaccount/docs/SNA2008.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Dawson, J.C. Ed. (1996) Flow of Fund Analysis, a Handbook for Practitioners, M.E. Sharpe, New York, London Google Scholar
- Godin, B. (2008) The Making of Statistical Standards: The OECD and the Frascati Manual, 1962–2002, Project on the History and Sociology of STI Statistics, Working Paper No. 39, Mimeo. http://www.csiic.ca/PDF/Godin_39.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Graunt, J. (1662) Natural and Political Observations made upon the Bills of Mortality, John Martin, London.Google Scholar
- King, G. (1696). Natural and Political Observations and Conclusions upon the State and Condition of England. (Reprinted by Two tracts by Gregory King by G.E. Barnett, Ed., 1936, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Luwel, M. (2004). The Use of Input data in the Performance Analysis of R&D Systems Potentialities and Pitfalls. In H. F. Moed, W. Glänzel & U. Schmoch (Eds.), Handbook of Quantitative Science and Technology Research (pp. 315–338). the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Marshall, A. (1890). Principles of economics. London: MacMillan.Google Scholar
- Meade, J. E., & Stone, R. (1941). The construction of tables of national income. Expenditure, Savings and Investment, Economic Journal, 51, 216–233.Google Scholar
- Moed, H. F., Glänzel, W., & Schmoch, U. (2004). Handbook of quantitative science and technology research, the use of publication and patent stratitics in studies of S&T systems. Dordrecht/Boston/London: Kluwer academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Mulhall, M. G. (1884). The dictionary of statistics. London: Ruthledge and Sons.Google Scholar
- OECD (1995) The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities, Manual on the Measurement of Human Resources devoted to S&T, ‘Canberra Manual’, Paris http://www.oecd.org/science/innovationinsciencetechnologyandindustry/2096025.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2002) The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities. Proposed Standard Practice for Surveys on Research and Experimental Development. Frascati Manual. Paris. Regrettably no direct download available at OECD anymore, but UN: http://unstats.un.org/unsd/EconStatKB/Attachment331.aspx and UNESCO: http://www.uis.unesco.org/Library/Documents/OECDFrascatiManual02_en.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2005) Oslo Manual, Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Innovation Data, Paris http://unstats.un.org/unsd/EconStatKB/Attachment336.aspx. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2007) Revised Field of Science and Technology (FOS) Classification in the Frascati Manual, Document JT03222603 http://www.oecd.org/sti/innovationinsciencetechnologyandindustry/38235147.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2009) OECD Patent Statistics Manual, revised edition, respectively, Paris. http://browse.oecdbookshop.org/oecd/pdfs/free/9209021e.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2012a) Measuring R&D in Developing Countries. Annex to the Frascati Manual. Document JT03316635 http://www.oecd.org/sti/innovationinsciencetechnologyandindustry/49793555.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- OECD (2012b) OECD iLibrary, Economics, Key Tables from OECD, PPP's for GDP. doi: 10.1787/2074384x.
- Petty, W. (1665, 1676). Verbum Sapienti and Political Arithmatick, (published posthumously and reprinted in The Economic Writings of Sir William Petty by C.H. Hull, (Ed.),1899, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).Google Scholar
- Schulte Nordholt, E., Hartgers, M., & Gircour, R. (Eds.). (2004). The Dutch virtual census of 2001, analysis and methodology, statistics Netherlands. Heerlen: Voorburg.Google Scholar
- Stone, R. (1947). Definition and measurement of the national income and related totals, appendix of: Measurement of national income and the construction of social accounts. Geneva: United Nations.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (1984) Manual for Statistics on Scientific and Technological Activities, Paris. http://www.uis.unesco.org/Library/Documents/STSManual84_en.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- UNESCO (2006) ISCED 1997, Re-edition, Paris http://www.uis.unesco.org/Library/Documents/isced97-en.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- UNESCO (2009) Framework for Cultural Statistics, Paris http://www.uis.unesco.org/culture/Documents/framework-cultural-statistics-culture-2009-en.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- United Nations (1949, 1958, 1968, 1990, 2008) International Standard Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities. Statistical Papers, Series M, No. 4, No. 4/Rev1-4, respectively. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/isic-4.asp. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- United Nations (1953, 1968) A System of National Accounts, New York.Google Scholar
- United Nations (2000) Classifications of Expenditure According to Purpose, Statistical Papers, Series M, No. 84, New York. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regdnld.asp?Lg=1. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- United Nations (2008) Central Product Classification, Version 2, Detailed Structure and Explanatory Notes, New York. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/cpc-2.asp. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Van Bochove, C.A. and H.K. Van Tuinen (1986) Revision of the SNA: the Case for an Institutional Core, Review of Income and Wealth, 32, 127–154. (Reprinted in Dawson 1996).Google Scholar
- Van Bochove, C.A. (1996). Living Without a Census, Proceedings of the Expert Group Meeting on Innovative Techniques for Population Censuses and Large Scale Demographic Surveys, The Hague, April 22–26 Netherlands: Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI) and United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).Google Scholar
- Van Bochove, C.A. (2012) Basic research and Prosperity: Sampling and Selection of Technological Possibilities and of Scientific Hypotheses as an Alternative Engine of Endogenous Growth, CWTS Working Paper Series, CWTS-WP-2012-003, http://hdl.handle.net/1887/18636. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Van Bochove, C. A., & Bloem, A. M. (1987). The structure of the next SNA: Review of the basic options. Statistical Journal of the United Nations ECE, 4, 369–390.Google Scholar
- Van Steen, J. (2012) Modes of Public Funding of Research and Development, Towards Internationally Comparable Indicators, OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers, 2012/04. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5k98ssns1gzs-en. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Vauban, S.L.P. (1707). Project d’une Dîme Royale, (Reprinted in E. Daire (Ed.) Economistes Financièrs du XVIIIme Siècle (Paris, 1843)).Google Scholar