On Hirsch’s h, Egghe’s g and Kosmulski’s h(2)
- 124 Downloads
In recent issues of the ISSI Newsletter, Egghe [2006a] proposed the g-index and Kosmulski  the h(2)-index, both claimed to be improvements on the original h-index proposed by Hirsch . The aim of this paper is to investigate the inter-relationships between these measures and also their time dependence using the stochastic publication/citation model proposed by Burrell [1992, 2007a]. We also make some tentative suggestions regarding the relative merits of these three proposed measures.
KeywordsCitation Rate Publication Rate Hirsch Index Science Focus Standard Bibliometric Indicator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burrell, Q. L. (2006), Hirsch’s h-index: a preliminary stochastic model. Book of Abstracts: 9th International Science and Technology Indicators Conference, 7–9 September 2006, Leuven, Belgium, 26–28. Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven.Google Scholar
- Burrell, Q. L. (2007d), Hirsch’s h-index and Egghe’s g-index. Paper presented at ISSI 2007 — 11 th International Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics. Serrano Central Campus, Spanish Research Council, Madrid, Spain, 24–28 June, 2007.Google Scholar
- Egghe, L. (2006c), Dynamic h-index: the Hirsch index in function of time. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (To appear.)Google Scholar
- Glänzel, W. (2006b), On the opportunities and limitations of the H-index. Science Focus, 1(1): 10–11. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hirsch, J. E. (2005), An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America,102(46): 16569–16572. (Also available in preprint form as arXiv:physica/0508113, accessible at http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0508025.)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jin, Bh. (2006), H-index: an evaluation indicator proposed by scientist. Science Focus, 1(1): 8–9. (In Chinese.)Google Scholar
- Kosmulski, M. (2006), A new Hirsch-type index saves time and works equally well as the original h-index. ISSI Newsletter, 2(3): 4–6.Google Scholar
- Rousseau, R. (2006a), A case study: evolution of JASIS’ Hirsch index. Science Focus, 1(1): 16–17, (in Chinese). (English version available at E-LIS, code 5430.)Google Scholar
- Rousseau, R. (2006b), New developments related to the Hirsch index. Science Focus, 1(4): 23–25, (in Chinese). (English version available at E-LIS, code 6736.)Google Scholar
- Van Raan, A. J. (2006), Comparison of the Hirsch-index with standard bibliometric indicators and with peer judgment for 147 chemistry research groups. Scientometrics, 67(3): 491–502.Google Scholar