The economic impact of the Canada small business financing program
This paper investigates the economic impact of the Canada Small Business Financing Program (CSBFP) using the 2004 edition of the Survey on Financing of Small and Medium Enterprises. To avoid the usual self-selection problem associated with voluntary participation in such programs, the financing behavior of the business and its intention to grow are used as control variables. Based on this analysis, participation in the CSBFP would have increased growth in salary, employment and revenues by 12, 12, and 7 percentage points, respectively, between 2004 and 2006. Furthermore, CSBFP would have induced around 5,000 jobs, approximately 3.8% of those created in that time span by small private businesses.
KeywordsSME financing Guarantee program CSBFP Impact study
JEL ClassificationsC21 G21 H81
- Cressy, R. (2002). Funding gaps: A symposium. The Economic Journal 112, F1–F16.Google Scholar
- Honohan, P. (2008). Partial credit guarantees: Principles and practice. Institute for International Integration Studies (IIIS) Discussion Paper no. 244. Dublin: IIIS.Google Scholar
- HRSDC (Human Resources and Social Development Canada) (1998). Direct job creation programs: Evaluation lessons. Available at: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/cs/sp/hrsdc/edd/reports/1998-000392/page01.shtml. Accessed 25 Nov 2009.
- Industry Canada (2007). Key small business statistics. Available at: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sbrp-rppe.nsf/eng/h_rd02188.html. Accessed 25 Nov 2009
- Industry Canada (2008). Key small business statistics. Available at: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sbrp-rppe.nsf/eng/h_rd02296.html. Accessed 25 Nov 2009
- Industry Canada (2009a). Canada Small Business Financing Act, Annual Report 2008–2009. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/h_la02973.html. Accessed 25 Oct 2010.
- Industry Canada (2009b). Comprehensive Review Report 2004–2009. Available at: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/h_la02973.html. Accessed 25 Nov 2009
- KPMG (2009). Study of the economic costs and benefits of the Canada Small Business Financing Program. Report presented to the CSBFP. Available at: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/la02951.html. Accessed 25 Oct 2010.
- Levitsky, J. (1997). SME guarantee schemes: A summary. The Financier 4(1&2), 5–11.Google Scholar
- Statistics Canada (2004). Survey on financing of small businesses. Available at: http://www.sme-fdi.gc.ca/eic/site/sme_fdi-prf_pme.nsf/eng/Home. Accessed 25 Nov 2009.
- Storey, D. J. (1994). Understanding the small business sector. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Storey, D. J. (2000). Six steps to heaven: Evaluating the impact of public policies to support small businesses in developed economies. In D. L. Sexton & H. Landstrom (Eds.), Handbook of entrepreneurship. Oxford: Blackwells.Google Scholar