The Influence of Hydrogen on Shape Memory Effect and Superelasticity in -Oriented FeNiCoAlTi Single Crystals
Using -oriented single crystals of an iron-based alloy (Fe – 28% Ni – 17% Co – 11.5% Al – 2.5% Ti at.%), which were aged at 973 K for 7 h, the influence of hydrogen on the axial-stress temperature response σ0.1(Т), the values of shape-memory effect (SME) and superelasticity (SE) is investigated during thermoelastic γ–α'-martensitic transformation (MT) (γ-FCC – face centered lattice, α'-BCT – body centered tetragonal lattice) under tensile conditions. It is found that saturation of -oriented single crystals of the Fe – 28% Ni – 17% Co – 11.5% Al – 2.5% Ti alloy with hydrogen within 2 h at Т = 300 K and current density j = 50 mA/cm2 results in lower starting temperature, Ms, of a forward MT during cooling and Md temperature, increased strength properties of the high-temperature phase at Md temperature and wider temperature range of SE observation compared to hydrogen-free crystals. It is shown that hydrogen affects but only slightly the SME and SE values, the temperature and stress hysteresis under the above saturation mode. In -oriented crystals aged at 973 K for 7 h, which are saturated with hydrogen and hydrogen-free, the SME and SE values are found to be equal to 7.8–8 and 6.5–6.9%, respectively.
Keywordssingle crystals γ–α'-thermoelastic martensitic transformation shape memory effect superelasticity hydrogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. P. Efimenko, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved. Metally, No. 1, 119–127 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.H. K. Birnbaum, MRS Bulletin, No. 7, 479–485 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.I. A. Stepanov, Yu. M. Flomenblit, and V. A. Zaimovskii, Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 55, Issue 3, 612–614 (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Kh. Shorshokhov, I. A. Stepanov, Yu. M. Flombelit, and V. V. Travkin, Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 60, Issue 3, 326–333–614 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.B. L. Pelton, T. Slater, and A. R. Pelton, SMST-97, 395–400 (1997).Google Scholar
- 13.Yu. N. Platonova, I. V. Kireeva, and Yu. I. Chumlyakov, IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., 93, 012043–012048 (2015).Google Scholar
- 16.K. Otsuka and C. M. Wayman, Shape Memory Materials, CUP (1998).Google Scholar
- 17.K. Otsuka. and X. Ren, Prog. Mater. Sci., 50, No. 5, 511–678 (2005).Google Scholar
- 21.Yu. I. Chumlyakov, I. V. KireevaI, E. Yu. Panchenko, et al., Mater. Sci. Found., 81–82, 107–173 (2015).Google Scholar