Resonant interaction of elastic thin bar vibrations with a shear shallow-water flow
- 23 Downloads
It is demonstrated that resonant interaction of a thin bar with a shear shallow-water flow results in the development of wind instability. The dispersion equation and the instability increment are derived. The wavelength range in which the instability exists is narrowed down when the sound velocity decreases. The frequency and increment of bending waves are estimated numerically for various flow parameters.
Keywordswind instability Kelvin–Helmholtz instability increment dispersion equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. A. Stepanyants and A. L. Fabricant, Usp. Fiz. Nauk, 159, No. 1, 83–123 (1989).Google Scholar
- 2.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Theoretical Physics. Vol. VI. Hydbarynamics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.S. G. Gestrin and V. M. Kontorovich, Radiofiz. Radioastron., 3, No. 3, 259–272 (1998).Google Scholar
- 6.S. G. Gestrin and A. N. Sal’nikov, Russ. Phys. J., No. 7, 718–722 (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshits, Theoretical physics. Vol. VII. Elasticity Theory [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.N. Freman and P. U. Freman, WKB Approximation [in Russian], Mir, Moscow (1967).Google Scholar