Two New Species of Abyssal Pogonophores from the Antarctic Ocean
- 40 Downloads
Two new species of the genus Polybrachia Ivanov, Polybrachia macrolamellosa sp. n. and P. romanovi sp. n., found at two stations in the Atlantic sector of the Antarctic Ocean on cruises 11 and 43 of the R/V Akademik Kurchatov (1971 and 1985–1986) are described. The material was collected in the Scotia Sea (off northern Elephant Isle, at a depth of 3110 m) and in the South Sandwich Trench (8004–8116 m). The main distinctive features of the new species are the extremely large cuticular plaque (up to 88 µm in maximum diameter) on the trunk metameric papillae in P. macrolamellosa sp. n. and the very long cephalic lobe (Lcl/Df is about 2) in P. romanovi sp. n.
Key wordspogonophorans new species taxonomy systematics Antarctic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ivanov, A.V. and Gureeva, M.A., Materials of Pogonophorans of the Northern Pacific Ocean, Trudy Inst. Okeanol. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1973, vol. 91, pp. 248–255.Google Scholar
- 2.Smirnov, R.V., New Species of the Genus Polarsternium (Pogonophora) from the Scotia Sea and Adjacent Waters of the Antarctic, Biol. Morya, 2005, vol. 31, no.3, pp. 171–179.Google Scholar
- 3.Ivanov, A.V., Pogonophora, London: Academic Press, 1963.Google Scholar
- 5.Smirnov, R.V., A Redescription of Spirobrachia leospira Gureeva (Pogonophora), with the Erection of a New Genus and a Revision of the Spirobrachiidae, Ophelia, 2000, vol. 53, no.2, pp. 151–158.Google Scholar
- 6.Southward, E.C., Growth of a Pogonophora: A Study of Polybrachia canadensis with a Discussion of the Development of Taxonomic Characters, J. Zool., 1969, vol. 157, no.4, pp. 449–467.Google Scholar
- 7.Southward, E.C. and Brattegard, T., Pogonophora of the Northwest Atlantic: North Carolina Region, Bull. Mar. Sci., 1968, vol. 18, no.4, pp. 836–875.Google Scholar