Thermal decomposition of acetyl propionyl peroxide in acetone-d6
The kinetics of thermolysis of acetyl propinyl peroxide in acetone-d6 in the temperature range 323–373 K was studied using NMR spectroscopy and the effect of chemically induced nuclear polarization. The peroxide decomposes in acetone at rates comparable with the rates of thermolysis in alcohols, yielding numerous products. In the examined temperature range, the solvent molecules act as efficient donors of deuterium atoms, forming acetylmethyl-d5 radicals which recombine to a significant extent with the peroxide radicals. A scheme of the processes involved in decomposition of the peroxide was suggested. The parameters of the Arrhenius equation for the peroxide decomposition were determined.
KeywordsAlcohol Peroxide Thermal Decomposition Acetyl Deuterium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bagdasar’yan, Kh.S. and Milyutinskaya, R.I., Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1963, vol. 27, no.3, p. 420.Google Scholar
- 2.Bagdasar’yan, Kh.S. and Milyutinskaya, R.I., Problemy mekhanizma khimicheskikh reaktsii (Problems of the Mechanism of Chemical Reactions), Kiev: Akad. Nauk Ukr. SSR, 1954, p. 88.Google Scholar
- 3.Leffler, J.E. and Petropoulos, C.C., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1957, vol. 79, no.12, p. 3068.Google Scholar
- 4.Leffler, J.E. and Wilson, A.F., J. Org. Chem., 1960, vol. 25, no.3, p. 424.Google Scholar
- 5.Dutka, V.S., Tsvetkov, N.S., and Markovskaya, R.F., Kinet. Katal., 1982, vol. 23, no.5, p. 1071.Google Scholar
- 6.Edwards, F.G. and Mayo, F.R., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1950, vol. 72, no.3, p. 1265.Google Scholar
- 7.Skakovskii, E.D., Stankevich, A.I., Lamotkin, S.A., Tychinskaya, L.Yu., and Rykov, S.V., Zh. Obshch. Khim., 1996, vol. 66, no.6, p. 881.Google Scholar
- 8.Skakovskii, E.D., Stankevich, A.I., Lamotkin, S.A., Tychinskaya, L.Yu., and Rykov, S.V., Zh. Obshch. Khim., 2001, vol. 71, no.4, p. 659.Google Scholar
- 9.Skakovskii, E.D., Lamotkin, S.A., and Tychinskaya, L.Yu., Zh. Prikl. Spektrosk., 1997, vol. 64, no.3, p. 306.Google Scholar
- 10.Antonovskii, V.L., Organicheskie perekisnye initsiatory (Organic Peroxy Initiators), Moscow: Khimiya, 1972, p. 308.Google Scholar
- 11.El’nitskii, A.P., Ol’dekop, Yu.A., Bezborodov, V.S., Stankevich, A.I., Glazkov, Yu.V., and Skakovskii, E.D., Vestsi Akad. Navuk Bel. SSR, Ser. Khim. Navuk, 1976, no. 2, p. 58.Google Scholar