Role of Genetic Processes in Modification Variability. Prophecy of B.L. Astaurov
- 34 Downloads
In his pioneering work on mutation tetraptera in Drosophila melanogaster, B.L. Astaurov discovered spontaneous modifications based on variability in gene expression. This new approach to the phenomenon of modifications should be considered as the first stimulus to development of the general theory of variability. Contemporary classification of variability based predominantly on phenomenology encounters many contradictions. The same specific molecular mechanisms may be responsible, for example, for both hereditary and nonhereditary variability depending on the taxonomic status. Some mechanisms responsible for both mutations and modifications or for mutations, recombination, and ontogenetic variability have been considered from this viewpoint. It may well be more productive to consider different types of variability with respect to the main genetic processes: replication and expression of genetic material.
Key wordsmodifications variability gene expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astaurov, B.L., A Study of Hereditary Changes of Halters in Drosophila melanogaster Schin., Zh. Eksperim. Biol., Ser. A, 1927, vol. 3, nos.1–2, pp. 1–61.Google Scholar
- Crick, H.F.C., Central Dogma of Molecular Biology, Nature, 1970, vol. 222, pp. 567–573.Google Scholar
- Glazer, V.M., Recombination without Homology, Soros. Obrazovat. Zh., 1998, no. 7, pp. 22–29.Google Scholar
- Inge-Vechtomov, S.G., Genetika s osnovami selektsii (Genetics with Foundations of Selection), Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola, 1989.Google Scholar
- Inge-Vechtomov, S.G., Template Principle in Biology (Past, Present, and Future?), Ekolog. Genetika, 2003, vol. 1, no.1, pp. 6–15.Google Scholar
- Lobashev, M.E., Genetika (Genetics), Leningrad: Leningr. Gos. Univ., 1967.Google Scholar
- Pontecorvo, G., Template and Stepwise Processes in Heredity, Proc. Roy. Soc. Ser. B, 1966, vol. 164, p. 167.Google Scholar
- Tchuraev, R.N., On a Noncanonical Theory of Heredity, Sovremennye kontseptsii evolyutsionnoi genetiki (Current Concepts of Evolutionary Genetics), Shumnyi, V.K. and Markel’, A.L., Eds., Novosibirsk, 2000, pp. 22–32.Google Scholar
- Tikhodeev, O.N. and Zhurina, T.V., Autonomous Variability: Phenomenon and Possible Mechanisms, Ekolog. Genetika, 2004, vol. 2, no.2, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- Timofeeff-Ressovsky, N.W., Studies on the Phenotype Manifestation of Hereditary Factors. 1. On the Phenotypic Manifestation of the Genovariation radius incompletes in Drosophila funebris, Genetics, 1927, vol. 12, pp. 128–198.Google Scholar
- Zhimulev, I.F., Obshchaya i molekulyarnaya genetika (General and Molecular Genetics), Novosibirsk: Sib. Universit., 2003.Google Scholar